Spearfishing in Komodo and Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, the thread title is admittedly a bit inflammatory ... but when I look at this web page ...

Natãraja - Pirates' Bay Cruising

... and see 'spearfishing' included in the trip description, it makes me feel a bit, umm, inflammatory myself. I've never heard of this company, or any of their boats, so I can't make a judgement one way or the other. Wait, I take that back. I've heard of the Euphoria, the boat mentioned in this forum several times in connection with potential spearfishing in protected waters. But when a boat is traveling to and/or through these recognized world-class dive areas, which include marine PROTECTED areas, does anyone else think this raises some potential red flags? And does the spearfishing happen only from the boat shown in the link above, or from all dozen plus boats listed?

Last edited:
Pirates Bay is an agent who books those boats, they do not own the boats so I would not term it as a fleet. Each boat is owned and operated by others and therefore each boat would have their own policies.

Thanks Mike, I've been trying to see where any of those boats listed on their site are flagged and suspected this may be the case. I did note spearfishing is offered on only two of their lower end boats with no link for more info as is the case with surfing and other activities they offer.

Thanks Mike Veitch for your clarification ...

Jeez, they are going to passing Komodo National Park! I wonder if they get a license from Indonesian authority for this.

Although, I am not even sure if Indonesian authority regulates tourism for fishing and spearfishing. I will post this in Indonesian scuba diver community, may be they know and will further do something about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom