Use Doubles on 30lb wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive always been accepting that the rule no dry suit no doubles is a valid rule.

Or use a double bladder wing

Or use a double bladder wing
In S. Florida last month for a deco procedures course I didn't see one diver with doubles wearing a dry suit. My single tank wing didn't have enough lift, so I borrowed the instructor's double bladder 45# wing. Here on SB I've mainly seen negative comments about double bladder wings, but I don't really understand why. I was told to not attach an inflator on the redundant bladder (so no danger of accidental inflation or confusion), and to just switch inflators (or inflate orally) in case of emergencies. The DiveRite wing I borrowed had the secondary inflator nicely tucked out of the way (but accessible if needed.) I was also told bladders don't usually fail by a catastrophic blow out and sudden loss of all lift.

I'm all in favor of redundant lift, but hadn't heard the "no drysuit no doubles" rule - is that a common philosophy?

I'm currently putting together my doubles gear and want to have the option of diving both dry and wet, so a double bladder wing seemed like the safest way to go. Is that a bad idea? Why do so many folks dislike them?

Thanks.
-Don

Double bladder is not DIR. I know many technical divers that use them without any issues.

I was on a boat in the Persian Gulf last year when one bloke turned up in his drysuit to teach a student ... Air temps were 45C (113F) and water temps 36C (96.8F)

Personally I think that is just plain stupid.

In S. Florida last month for a deco procedures course I didn't see one diver with doubles wearing a dry suit. My single tank wing didn't have enough lift, so I borrowed the instructor's double bladder 45# wing. Here on SB I've mainly seen negative comments about double bladder wings, but I don't really understand why. I was told to not attach an inflator on the redundant bladder (so no danger of accidental inflation or confusion), and to just switch inflators (or inflate orally) in case of emergencies. The DiveRite wing I borrowed had the secondary inflator nicely tucked out of the way (but accessible if needed.) I was also told bladders don't usually fail by a catastrophic blow out and sudden loss of all lift.

I'm all in favor of redundant lift, but hadn't heard the "no drysuit no doubles" rule - is that a common philosophy?

I'm currently putting together my doubles gear and want to have the option of diving both dry and wet, so a double bladder wing seemed like the safest way to go. Is that a bad idea? Why do so many folks dislike them?

Thanks.
-Don

I think the issue is that unless you use both badders routinely. you could end up with a bad backup bladder and have nothing when the primary fails. The thought process might be old now, however that is the explanation I got.

Thanks.
-Don

diving wet makes a good argument for double bladders.

Use different tanks that aren't boat anchors? Easy.
Other possibility would be "get fit, or die trying".

A set of double al80s is 6kg of gas, a set of double 12s at 230b is 7kg, I'm pretty confident I can swim those up. (and this is a worst case scenario)

Back
Top Bottom