Jul-Aug trip, help with itinerary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interested to hear more about you friends opinion on Puerto Galera and why they are not enthused about it?
Oops , sorry I didn't mean to dis PG in any way....I love the Philippines and never waste an opportunity to recommend it on this board , on Tripadvisor and to friends. In Anilao and Anda earlier in the years I met three or so couples who had been and didn't rate it as highly as elsewhere. But I'm 100 per cent aware that the standard in the Philippines is extremely high. I'm guessing that you are in some way related to Marco Vincent resort and LOB.....this looks fab by the way. ...and apologies again.

Interested to hear more about you friends opinion on Puerto Galera and why they are not enthused about it?
I know the question was for someone else but this is my opinion:
The main issue with PG is its popularity over last few years! The continue "development" is a joke and I wonder if the new mayor can do something about this!

Oops , sorry I didn't mean to dis PG in any way....I love the Philippines and never waste an opportunity to recommend it on this board , on Tripadvisor and to friends. In Anilao and Anda earlier in the years I met three or so couples who had been and didn't rate it as highly as elsewhere. But I'm 100 per cent aware that the standard in the Philippines is extremely high. I'm guessing that you are in some way related to Marco Vincent resort and LOB.....this looks fab by the way. ...and apologies again.

Ha ha Don't worry about the dis :) We are always interested in hearing about people's thoughts on our diving area. The area of Sabang is very busy so this is a problem in some peoples eyes. However the diving in Sabang Bay is excellent with some good wrecks, nice coral gardens and some of the best night dives I have ever done. What happens though is that the whole Puerto Galera area gets tarred with the same brush as Sabang which is not really fair in my eyes. Even if you go 10 minutes away from Sabang everything changes with great resorts in Big La Laguna. I would of course recommend coming to stay with us in White Beach, we only have a few dive shops in our area and we are visiting some dives sites where you won't be bothered by other dive boats. If you fancy a trip to Apo Reef or Coron Bay we are also running trips starting again in November. Cheers and I hope that one day you will come and see the place for yourself :)

I know the question was for someone else but this is my opinion:
The main issue with PG is its popularity over last few years! The continue "development" is a joke and I wonder if the new mayor can do something about this!

Lets hope he can, I hope for a protect marine reserve, limit on group sizes and a water treatment plant would be a great start.

Thank you guys for your input! Much appreciated.

New plan: Full day for transfer between locations. Sogod Bay x7 days, Malapascua x7 days, and then will split 10 days between Anilao and Puerto Galera. That should be a decent balance.

Thanks again

Hi Josh, I'm looking at a very similar plan, although Dauin and Coron not PG.

I think you will have just completed your trip. How did it go?

Thanks!

I modified my trip quite a bit once I was there. I think the thing people don't realize before going there is that travel between places will take 1 whole day. There's no way to make it less - it takes a whole day. So that limited the number of places I went to.
I spent 11 days at Peter's Dive Resort in Leyte - diving there was amazing and I didn't want to leave. Beautiful reefs. They're recovering from a crown of thorns attack a few years ago at some sites but there was so much hard and soft coral there in great condition it's hard not to love it. Small amount of macro stuff too. Then I headed by overnight ferry to Cebu (not very comfortable, but cheap) and went to Panglao/Balicasag/Pamilacan (Valm Dive) - I wouldn't recommend that actually. Snake Island was cool (though with the current, only 20 min dive), and some of the diving was nice - but the reef and the tourists there made me a bit sad. Damaged reef, tons of Asian tourists not respecting the reef and other divers' personal space.
I went there because getting to Malapascua was going to take forever and the diving in Leyte was so good I figured I could miss the thresher sharks and save an extra day or two traveling. Also travelers I met said Malapascua was ok, perhaps not worth the long trip there if you're already going far to Leyte.
From Panglao I went to Dauin/Dumaguete (Dumaguete Divers) which was very interesting in terms of macro life. Also Apo Island was very pretty with some nice big fish. I wasn't in Dauin proper, so maybe the diving is different, but there was a lot of good macro stuff in Dumaguete.

After a few days there I went to Anilao which was unbelievable. There's life everywhere you look. And a ton of macro stuff too - more than Dauin, though I saw some unique things in Dauin that I did not see in Anilao. If you're looking for macro goodness, I'd go to Anilao, though everything is more expensive there. I stayed with Buceo Anilao. There was some reef there too, and life aside from macro, but I seemed to be the only one who would put his camera away for 10 minutes and explore the non-macro world. If I had to rank them, and this is by no means a contest, Leyte > Anilao > Dumaguete > Panglao. Regardless, there's a lot out there for everyone.

Summary:
S. Leyte - 11 days
Panglao - 3 days
Dumaguete - 3 days
Anilao - 5 days

There's still a lot more to see, including Coron, for my next trip. Apparently it's better if you've got your nitrox certification because the wrecks are deep. Remember that travel between places takes a full day typically. Hope that helps

Reactions: MA
Oh thanks for posting , I'm delighted that you had such a good time....and another lover of diving the Philippines on this board.

Best fishes x

1. Southern Leyte is highly recommended but getting there from Manila is time consuming and relative expensive. Hopefully the new ferry link between Cebu City and Massin will change that.
2. Panglao Island(Anlona Beach) was very good when I first went there in 1997. Unfortunately the mass tourism over last few yrs had ruined the place.
3. Anilao is No.1 for macro in the country. Dauin comes no where near.

Sipalay is another good one but again getting there is tiring!

Thank so much for detailed info Josh! I was tossing up whether to get an extended visa so I could fit in the places I'd like to cover on this trip. Based on your experience i will :) Glad you had a great trip!

Leyte was one of my question marks - it will be whaleshark season when i head there, so combined with your review I think i will lock that in. Were you happy with Peters?

Centrals - I'll be heading to Leyte from Cebu, I guess i need to look into this ferry! Thanks for the info :)

1. Peter is THE place. Don't miss the jetty(8m max, night dive).
2. You have to thank "xrcjdx" for the ferry(Weesam Express, 17:30) info. Please confirm the ferry schedule with Peter.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom