I need motivation ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have had a GoPro Hero3 for quite some time now but never gave it the respect that it deserves. It is a tiny little thing much like a match box and seems more of a toy than a camera. Now I am starting to get serious about it and would like to pimp it up with filters lights macro lens and yada yada, I need some motivation to spend money on it. Can you guys put some of your best GoPro videos (along with the details of your set up that you used to shoot it) so that I can get motivated to dish out some cash?

I will be forever grateful to the financial loss you are about to cause me.

These aren't mine, but a friend has done them both and I suspect he'd be happy to have me share them... They blow me away! I'll let him know I posted and maybe he'll weigh in...

This first one was shot on a trip to Newfoundland earlier this summer.

This second one was shot a couple of years ago in BC on a trip I organized...

I'm not sure of the details but it's definitely a GoPro, and an older one at that. He uses a couple of video lights that are quite small. Obviously he is skilled in the art of post-production...

Last edited:
Please take a look at this video which demonstrates our tray and light system.

If you are diving in limited visibility, light intensity is often a big consideration. For these conditions, most people will agree that you need to basic things:

(a) to get close to your subject
(b) have good lighting

Luckily the wide angle and medium angle settings on the GoPro will allow you to get quite close to your subjects and our camera mount and modular light system will provide great wide angle coverage of light without any hot spots.

Two Handle Camera Tray | MAKO Spearguns

This isn't mine but it's shot on a Hero 2 so yours should be better. Click the Vimeo link to watch in full-screen HD.

I found myself in the same situation. I purchased a GoPro Hero3 Black because I saw such awesome videos from others. My videos were just ok but never anything special. I had the various Red and Maroon filters from Backscatter, but something was missing. I then got a great deal on a Sealife Sea Dragon Duo 5000 light set. Everything changed once I had a set of excellent lights. My next purchase will be a Macro lens so I can get some great macro close-ups.

These aren't mine, but a friend has done them both and I suspect he'd be happy to have me share them... They blow me away! I'll let him know I posted and maybe he'll weigh in...

This first one was shot on a trip to Newfoundland earlier this summer.

This second one was shot a couple of years ago in BC on a trip I organized...

I'm not sure of the details but it's definitely a GoPro, and an older one at that. He uses a couple of video lights that are quite small. Obviously he is skilled in the art of post-production...

Not only has this motivated me to invest in my GoPro set up but it has also motivated me to dive Browning Pass and NFL.

Thanks a lot guys.

Not only has this motivated me to invest in my GoPro set up but it has also motivated me to dive Browning Pass and NFL.

LOL... Ya that happens... I am taking a group back to Browning at the end of September... I think that this will be about my 15th trip there. IMHO it's the best diving in the world.

Newfie is on my bucket list and may slide over there next summer... It's a great time for a 'Merican to come to Canada, eh!

This is one that I made using only filters, no light source, to a depth of 100 ft of the Spiegel Grove, Key Largo Fl
GoPro 4 Silver Flip FIlters.

LOL... Ya that happens... I am taking a group back to Browning at the end of September... I think that this will be about my 15th trip there. IMHO it's the best diving in the world.

Newfie is on my bucket list and may slide over there next summer... It's a great time for a 'Merican to come to Canada, eh!

I would like to dive Passamaquoddy Bay (Eastport Maine) before I go to Browning Pass because it has the reputation of being the smaller version of Browning pass. But ya ... I hope your 15th trip will not be your last one because Id love to join you guys up there on BC trip sometime.

Btw ... I am sort of Canadian myself. Went to Brock University for five years so I guess it makes me somewhat of a Canadian eh?

This is one that I made using only filters, no light source, to a depth of 100 ft of the Spiegel Grove, Key Largo Fl
GoPro 4 Silver Flip FIlters.

Amazing colors. Which filter was it? Red?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom