Truth Aquatics Aug. 2016 Trip Report - California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a long time So Cal diver, reading the details about a visitor's experience diving here has been very interesting. This is an excellent trip report, and would be a useful primer for anybody planning a trip to So Cal. California boat diving is run differently from most other dive operations worldwide. So, drrich2 your underlying message of "Do your Homework" before you arrive to dive is the best possible advice to those that follow.

There's a reason why local divers refer to such events as "multi-day trips" rather than "liveaboards". Anyone used to real liveaboards expecting a private cabin, a warm post-dive towel, and a cocktail on the sun deck will be severely disappointed. Here is the So Cal counter reality stated in the most honest terms, 1) privacy only starts and ends at the head door, 2) everything gets wet, 3) a refreshing (aka cold) post-dive shower on the swim step awaits, and 4) self-serve beer can be found in your own cooler if you want a drink at the end of the day. And if you're used to a chocolate latte and a vegan omelet in the morning, you'll have to try the chef's special: luke warm Dr Pepper and all-you-can-eat breakfast burritos overly filled with mystery meat (if you dare). That's the way it is, and the way we like it here.

By most liveaboard standards, So Cal boat trips can be considered rugged. I've been on boats where visiting divers have arrived without tanks and weights, expecting them to be provided by the operation (usually not the case unless arranged for ahead of time). Some have been shocked that men and women share a common bunkroom, with a thin curtain the only concession to privacy (it's made for some interesting stories through the years). All of this is the norm, so be prepared.

I've never seen a visitor seriously disappointed at the end of a trip on one of our boats. Relieved, perhaps.
The captains know their business, and the crews are skillful, without exception.

Thanks for such a thorough report. Glad you had a good trip.
Come back again soon. There's still a lot more to see.

Last edited:
Awesome report Richard. With regards to the flights. Instead of taking the often delayed 15min hop from LAX to SBA one can also take the extremely reliable Santa Barbara Airbus which costs <$40 per trip and takes about 2h from LAX to Goleta.

I have been fortunate to have been diving around the world these last 40 yrs. My favorite diving is still So. Cal Live aboard diving. A three day trip just clears the soul. I'll bring my own wine, a sleeping bag for one of the bunks, and enjoy a hearty breakfast and a great day of Channel Island diving.

Excellent, thorough report. You basically hit upon everything I've noticed as differing between local diving and the couple of trips I've done. It's always interesting to see those differences.

And, you got some really good pics! Thank you so much for sharing. I wish more people would do detailed trip reports like these.

I've not been on any of the Truth boats yet. You made me want to book a trip with them. :)

i read every word and looked at every picture.....a really nice read...thanks for sharing.

Nice report! Makes you want to dive the Channel Islands.

Nice report! Makes you want to dive the Channel Islands.

It is a very good report. Channel Island diving always remains at the top of my list.My fav is a 3-5 day trip out of Santa Barbara on a Truth Aquatics boat.

As mentioned here there are also very good boats out of other sites all the way down the coast to San Diego.

Northern Cal has a number of good boats diving the spectacular Monterrey Bay and Big Sur.

California boat diving is world class for sure.

The nutrient rich ocean, the kelp forest, a great variety of Marine Life (I've been diving just a few feet from migrating Whales) and for those who enjoy fresh seafood: Halibut, Lobster, Abalone and more.

Last edited:
Probably the most detailed report I have ever read. Great job.

I'd mention for inexperienced boat riders, the diff between these boats and other "liveaboards" is not black and white or rugged vs foo foo lattes. Liveaboards have a whole range of experiences, costs and benefits. Find out for yourself.

Richard,
Your detailed reports and personal perspective are greatly appreciated. I hope you get as much enjoyment from sharing your experiences as I get reading them. They are always inciteful and valuable. Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom