Diving Dad needs advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbrownsen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a 2 part question.

I have 7 and 9 yr old Girls who love the ocean, snorkel, and can't wait to get certified to SCUBA.

1. Any tips for keeping girls soon to be young women engaged in the sport?
2. I see and hear some objectification and sexism in the sport. These range from slightly sexual jokes at my dive club to "humorous" signs in dive boats galley. Am I an overprotective dad or does that create an uncomfortable environment for women in the sport?

Check out SSI Scuba rangers. I've a 10yr old and a 12yr old both doing the program and they're loving it.

A large part of the program is in the pool but the instructors have been mixing it a bit with compass navigation exercises in the park nearby, basic gear maintenance and a "night dive" - turning off all the lights in the pool area after dark with the kids all having flashlights to learn light/hand signals etc. That evening we had a group of tech divers sit by the pool to watch the kids because their enthusiasm was infectious, these 'tech' guys were all having a ball just watching the kids enjoying their night dive in the pool with flashlights.

They really enjoyed their first 'open water' dives despite the temperate winter water temperatures (12*C) - They were held at sites considered to be training sites in our area. The 4 kids on this day were accompanied by two instructors and 2 fathers (including me) and one uncle also joined the group so there was very good supervision and max 4m depth attained.
They saw weedy seadragons, stingray, cuttlefish, blue throat wrasse and snorkeled with fur seals.

My oldest should move through to Junior Open Water this summer (January..)

SSI Scuba Schools International

As for the sexism, if you see or hear something that offends - speak up and request the offending person or dive operator behaves - they are children after all. There shouldn't be anything offensive posted in signs on boats either, commercial dive boats are supposed to be professional operations and you are paying for their service after all.

That said, there will always be a few backward sexists out there. Teach the girls self reliance, build a strong sense of self worth in them and encourage a sense of humor and they be well equipped to deal with those (hopefully minor) problems as they mature. Snorkeling, diving and the like can only help with building their character.

2. I see and hear some objectification and sexism in the sport. These range from slightly sexual jokes at my dive club to "humorous" signs in dive boats galley. Am I an overprotective dad or does that create an uncomfortable environment for women in the sport?
It may not be easy or popular, but you can call them out on that. It is unfortunate that some women avoid some activities due to knuckle dragging behavior by men. Diving is supposed to be fun.

Hey mbrownsen and congrats on having two beautiful and active girls!

For your first question, not really anything helpful. Support and offer oppotunities as they present.

Part 2, you may find this thread interesting,..
Sexism?

The most frustrating thing I find is that many male divers tend to make certain assumptions about me and my diving when they don't know me. Their interest in helping me is sincere and I mostly just smile, nod my head and say thank you but it can be very disheartening at times.

Last edited:

I have 7 and 9 yr old Girls who love the ocean, snorkel, and can't wait to get certified to SCUBA.

1. Any tips for keeping girls soon to be young women engaged in the sport?

Involve them in other, more age-appropriate water activities until they're old enough and broaden as they get older. Swim, snorkel, canoe, kayak, paddleboard, sailboat, conservation, fishing, eventually water skiing.

I don't think the problem is materially worse with diving than in any other activity that is a) inherently physical and b) historically male dominated.

I have two daughters who are divers. I'm not going to let the presence of a few tasteless jokes ruin it for them.

If you have a group of guys outside of a work situation some are prone to make some comments that are sexist. That can be totally different from what they might say with the other sex around.

I have instabuddied with a number of female divers. As long as they seem to know what they are doing it works good. Actually they make good isntabuddies since their air consumption tends to be pretty good and if inexperienced they tend to stay close as opposed to wandering off all the time.

Thanks!
It's telling that the thread had to be Closed.
I'm new to my local diving community but I am trying to talk to people about things than make me cringe in a constructive way.
There only a couple of local boats where female crew are anywhere but the kitchen. I would love to see a dive ad with a women who looks like a real athlete rocking doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom