Harrowing Exit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Better crawl than fall....

Except if the shore is full of round greasy 2 to 3 foot diameter rocks.

I found a solution... It's the same as whenever I am walking across snow with ice with a 60 lbs backpack, sometimes in gusty conditions above treeline...

Collapsible hiking poles. (crampons and an ice axe are a bit too sharp)

These remain strapped to the side of my tank, out of the way. Before exit, I take them off the tank and expand them. Then I use the standard technique in "Freedom of the Hills" ....establish at least 3 points of firm contact, then place a foot forward. Establish 3 points of firm contact. Place a pole forward. Repeat until dry traction is available.

Besides the increase in traction from the tips of the trekking poles, you are spreading any shock load from a sudden slip to your arms and shoulders. So you don't have to completely depend on your knee if you slip. Also, you can shift your center of gravity far more forward with the poles..there is a bigger area in which to find an acceptable foothold.

It works for me... Still looking for an acceptable way to stow them so I can use them for entry as well. I'm looking for something like a carabiner that will release, if a very large force, much larger than the weight of the poles, is used to free them.

Last edited:
WSH, Yes, good idea. But only if you regularly dive in conditions that call for this. Mine was a once in 612 dives "perfect storm". I should've just called the dive when entering.

Nothing wrong with calling dive. BTW, I tried the poles out on Mt Desert Island, Maine
I never dived there and haven't been there in decades, but I assume you're not talking about Sand Beach. Where did you use the poles for a dive there?

No, I wonder if I should try sand beach... Let me know I'm leaving tomorrow... I was going to go lamoine Beach at low tide to video/uv life on the ledges, then get to Hunter near high tide for easy entry.

Then maybe kayak out to bunker ledges and see if any seals drop by on Sunday.. Have to check the laws...

I put a video in Northeast Geographic forum for Little Hunter a few weeks ago.

The poles were good at Little Hunter at low to mid tide.

No, I wonder if I should try sand beach... Let me know I'm leaving tomorrow... I was going to go lamoine Beach at low tide to video/uv life on the ledges, then get to Hunter near high tide for easy entry.

Then maybe kayak out to bunker ledges and see if any seals drop by on Sunday.. Have to check the laws...

I put a video in Northeast Geographic forum for Little Hunter a few weeks ago.

The poles were good at Little Hunter at low to mid tide.
Sorry, was diving today. Sand Beach is probably not good to dive as I recall it is your typical "sand beach". From my time there 30 - 40 years ago it was open ocean with some surf and sandy bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom