Huracan vs Itza's... any input?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pembina

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am planning our next dive vacay for either next February or March 2017. The Blue Hole is on my bucket list and thought this might be the time to scratch it off. Huracan and Itza seems to be the closest to the hole. Does anyone have any input on these 2 resorts? Any preference?

I *think* Itza's is out of business. I stayed at Huracan this summer and I recall some discussions of selling Itza's. But they're both very close (about 30 minutes) from the BH.

Search Huracan on the board. There's been a number of threads on this resort.

SB Member Stoo has stayed at Huracan at least a couple of times. You should be able to dig up his trip reports here. If you can't find them, contact him directly. Nice guy, and I'm sure he'll help you out.

TIR has air conditioning. Huracan doesn't. Just fyi in case that's important to you. Probably not as much of a difference maker in February and March as it would be in the summer.

And I suggest you read up on the Blue Hole before you commit. It's not for everybody, and you could be in for a disappointment. Personally, I love it, but there are plenty who don't.

SB Member Stoo has stayed at Huracan at least a couple of times. You should be able to dig up his trip reports here. If you can't find them, contact him directly. Nice guy, and I'm sure he'll help you out.

TIR has air conditioning. Huracan doesn't. Just fyi in case that's important to you. Probably not as much of a difference maker in February and March as it would be in the summer.

And I suggest you read up on the Blue Hole before you commit. It's not for everybody, and you could be in for a disappointment. Personally, I love it, but there are plenty who don't.

I did read Stoo's trip report but was surprised at not finding much from anyone else. I am a little concerned about the no A/C which is one thing that kept me from booking last year but I decided that I should be able to handle it in March.
I've also heard that the blue hole can be disappointing but it's nice to see something other than coral and fish sometimes. We did the Champagne dive on Dominica last year and not much to see other than bubbles coming out of the sand it was still unique and I got some cool pics.

ScubaJill, you were at Hurracan's this summer? How was the "no a/c" handled? Were you cool enough?

We stayed out at Glover's reef atoll last January (SlickRock/Off the Wall Diver Center). No AC, no fans, rustic open air cabins with no screens. I am always hot, but there was always a nice breeze out there that kept bugs away and things cool at night. I know this is a different location vs. Huracan, but I have to assume conditions out on Lighthouse are similar in terms of wind. The Huracan web-site also says they have fans and screens......

Pembina, I have stayed at Huracan five times (soon six), and Turneffe IR three times... Both are awesome. TIR is certainly more "upscale" and has a more "resorty" feel in that it has a pool, bar, and is quite a bit bigger and perhaps takes 30 - 40 guests, many of whom are there to fish. I have nothing bad to say about TIR, other than I think their bar prices are "punitive"! :cheers:

Huracan, on the other hand, is more like a B+B. Eight guests max, a help-yourself kitchen and bar (on the honor system). It's more remote, but not at all "roughing it". The rooms at both places are very nice, the food is great at both and the staff is awesome in both places. Huracan is significantly less expensive and in my opinion, the diving is better due to it's proximity to Halfmoon Caye.

Our decision to go to Huracan after being at TIR for several years was driven by the proximity to Halfmoon which we loved diving (even compared to Turneffe) and because we were travelling with a single friend and the single supplement at Huracan was almost nothing.

Privacy is more possible at TIR... places to wander, a private cabana etc where at Huracan, you really are living with the other guests. Having said that, one of the things that we love about both places is the cool people we meet at both places. Most seem to be highly educated and very interesting... literally everyone from a Nobel Peace Price winner in medicine who treated my ear infection at TIR to an actual Rocket Scientist from NASA and her daughter at Huracan! Mercifully, Mrs. Stoo holds a PhD, so she holds up that end in our family, where I am there for my good looks and charm. :)

As for ITZA, it's a neat looking place, but it's always virtually empty, with perhaps a group of Marine Biology students or something. The Manager of Huracan has told me that the place is about to close (and may have by now). You should also be aware that ITZA does not have it's own dive operation. Those services are provided by Huracan, so even if staying there is an option, you will still be diving with Huracan (which is not a bad thing, but you will be less involved in the dive site planning etc.). If you were to take a group to ITZA, they would charter their own boat and DM and get fills at Huracan.

As an aside, both of the Belize Liveaboards spend the majority of their itineraries out around Long Caye and Halfmoon, and some around Turneffe. You can't go wrong with either location.

As for diving the Blue Hole, this is where Huracan shines. Being only about 12 - 15 minutes away, we are finished our dives before the other boats, including the one from TIR are just arriving. The GBH is a fun dive, but I hate doing it when there is a lot of other people around. 99% of them appear to way beyond their comfort levels and that kinda freeks me out.

I hope this helps... Feel free to PM or post any other questions and I will answer as best I can.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom