Carrying things while snorkelling - how do you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weight belt with or without weights as needed, D rings, mesh drawstring bag and bolt snaps as needed. Derelict lobster bait bags work well.

Over all I'll suggest the general diving caution to bring what you need and skin dive within that plan. Are you actually getting in the water carrying boots just in case?

Pete

Are you actually getting in the water carrying boots just in case?

I use closed foot fins (because that is what I have) but in some locations I cannot enter the water bare-foot, so sometimes I need to wear boots/shoes to get in, then take them off to get the fins on and need them again to get out again.

As for swimming with a bad shoulder, I swim backstroke and free with left arm only. Takes some practice and is slower, but works well for me.

I use a Boogie Board. ~$35 Costco
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

I get the largest/thickest one for more flotation with a hard plastic "hull" for durability.

I tie the goodie bag top portion to the hand leash attachment point on board, so I can open bag easily when in the water or on rocks. The bottom portion is held with a bungie/elastic line wrapping around the lower portion to help keep the goodie bag from shifting.

I also carry food, water, flashlight, camera, floating rope, spare weight, fishing license, speargun, stringer, Ab iron/caliper, mirror, etc.

I will post an updated picture of my Boogie Board later.

I use it like a kick board when snorkeling. Like a Boogie Board when going over kelp and through waves. I use the leash for attaching to kelp.

Last edited:
I clip all my extra stuff to my dive flag like the catch bag, lobster snare, etc... Just have to make sure the clips are secure!

I use a plastic milk crate with some swim noodles tie wrapped to it for a dive flag float when I'm metal detecting or fossil hunting. Milk crates are everywhere and swim noodles aren't hard to find either. Plastic bottles can work in a pinch. It's ugly and not very hydrodynamic but you can carry a lot of stuff in it and it's cheap too.

I use a car innertube with a bucket in the middle. It's great and can carry a load of sruff. It has enough lift that I can hang onto it when I'm resting on the surface. Back on land I keep my gear in the bucket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom