Biased Review "Sex in the Sea"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
If you haven't already checked it out, I can recommend "Sex in the Sea" by Marah Hardt.

I'm a biased reviewer since the book features some of my own underwater photographs of mating fish and cephalopds. But I can very honestly recommend the book, it has the kind of science writing I like: accessible to the layman, but scientifically solid. Marine animals have evolved an incredible diversity in their reproductive behaviors, so Marah had a great topic to write about.

This is the book's webpage.

And that's me with my copy :)

29180314164_e2f3b5e8ec_z.jpg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Since you like the idea, do you have zipper strategically placed on your wetsuit? :)

Speaking of sex in the sea. Those pictures, above, are the results of the snapper's sex in the sea. Whalesharks were gobbling the snappers' eggs around July-September in Isla Mujeres, Mexico.

I did see the mandarin fish spawning around 6pm in Menjangan, Bali, Indonesia.

Around August, next year, I plan to go to Jupiter, Florida to see the Goliath Grouper spawning.

Last edited:
Some of us found those snapper eggs in our wetsuits, hairs, ears, every where.

Another cool scene is the Goliath Grouper (GG) spawning during full moon, going up & down in water column. Also watching cigar minnows surrounding the female GG like bait balls waiting for the "hand out" of free meals when the GG releasing the eggs, as shown in the following video:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom