Determining cert type from PADI cert #?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
To be allowed to fill nitrox, members in our club have to provide a copy of their nitrox card, which is then kept on file. During that process, I found out that far from all of my PADI cert cards give the type of certification on the side where the diver info is. My OW card and my EAN card do ("This qualification meets ISO <number>" and the name of the ISO standard, e.g. "Autonomous Diver" or "EAN Diving"), however the others just note that "This diver has satisfactorily met the standards for this certification". So, no info about the type of cert on the side with the diver info.

Is there an easy way to determine whether a given cert # is for, say AOW, or Rescue, a moderately useful specialty like Deep or Drysuit, or just some inane specialty like Fish Identification?

I think what you're asking is whether or not PADI cert numbers are like vehicle identification numbers, in that they have relevant information about the product coded into the number itself. I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom