G16.. pictures and videos simultaneously? True or false?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish80

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello :)

I read on a thread here that the G16 can take pictures while filming a video. Is this true? A friend of mine has one, she tried but could not figure out how, and I also checked the manual and i found no mention of it. So, is it false? Can the newer G7X do that? Or any other compact?

Thanks! :)

You cannot be RECORDING HD video at the exact same time you are shooting still frames. Many Canon (and other brands) shoot BOTH stills and video but not simultaneously.

sunny boy's post is correct if rolling video you Can snap a still photo but it WILL interrupt your video. Also while taking sticks you can simply punch the RED start / stop button to immediately begin video recording.

What I meant was you can't be recording video continuously and snap still images without it affecting the other medium.

www.haasimages.com

IMG_5403.jpg

Last edited:
My answer is "sort of". I have the G16 and when filming video, you can press the shutter lever and it will stop the video and then take a photo. However, you have to restart the video manually after.

I know this because I've inadvertently done this a few times when taking video. It's annoying in one way (interrupts the video) but in another - you get a decent photo of the video subject. :)

Then there are the times I think I'm taking video but am actually turning it off because I pushed the button inadvertently when clipping off the camera or some other such activity. Usually after a long (useless) video where I'm swimming about on a wall or something - never in focus and usually swinging from the gear. Of course, the most worthless videos IMO are those of the rinse bucket when you push the video button by accident at the end of the dive!

I read on a thread here that the G16 can take pictures while filming a video.

I can't find that thread. Can you give any more hints about it?

My answer is "sort of". I have the G16 and when filming video, you can press the shutter lever and it will stop the video and then take a photo. However, you have to restart the video manually after.

Does it take the picture straight away? Or there is a lag for the camera to save the video etc.? I tried a tg4 and when you finish a video there is about 1 second for the camera to work. And is the picture standard good quality right?

I can't find that thread. Can you give any more hints about it?

Sorry I would have quoted it but I do not seem able to find it anymore...

Does it take the picture straight away? Or there is a lag for the camera to save the video etc.? I tried a tg4 and when you finish a video there is about 1 second for the camera to work. And is the picture standard good quality right?

Yes, there is a lag. It's the same duration as when the video is stopped normally - that is the time it takes to save the last bit of video and close the file. Then it takes a normal photo.

Yes, there is a lag. It's the same duration as when the video is stopped normally - that is the time it takes to save the last bit of video and close the file. Then it takes a normal photo.

Thanks ... that does not really help then. :-( I was planning to do a video and then if what I am filming come close enough to snap a good picture... but this way i will lose the moment... you know of any camera which allow movie + pics at the same time? It looks like the rx100 may do this

As far as I know it was possible to dual record on older models, not on the newest models. Besides that, it was constrained in quality. An other solution might be using a tray with camera and gopro at the same time. Best of both worlds.

[QUOTE=" An other solution might be using a tray with camera and gopro at the same time. Best of both worlds.[/QUOTE]

I thought about it, but i really like to use the gopro on a pole... otherwise i feel it is really hard to get close enough for a good video... just my experience of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom