Zeagle's Express Tech: The first and last BC most will ever need (or want)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, Just retired and getting back into diving following a long hiatus, and updating my ancient kit. (SP MK10/D400, Gen 2 Air 2 yadda yadda). Was enjoying the focused Zeagle ET discussion until it went off rails onto Octopus location.

Forum discussions weren't around when I first started diving (pre-BC), but I never understand how discussions can start about the Zeagle ET light weight travel friendly BP&W and digress into suggestions of SS BP, Rangers, etc. Valid topics, but maybe the wrong place?

Anyway, I do appreciate the positive comments on the ET and its numerous variants as I decide what to upgrade and how to shed (dry) pounds from my old rig.

Trouble w the 24lb horse-shoe wing.
I jumped on the band wagon and being diving the ET for about 34 dives in warm water. Price, ease of adjustment, and a variety of components to customize the ET are great. With the crotch strap, I absolutely had no problem adapting to ET from a jacket style BC.

BUT, having tried donut wing style with a single, "downward" rear dump valve, I did find that the horse shoe wing not having air distributed evenly and having to mess with the 2 dump valves on either side to get the air out. I could hear the air sloshing around between the left & right side.

Before I jump to any conclusions, am I not using the horse shoe wing incorrectly or is it simply just a design issue compared to the donut wing?

I know Zeagle makes a 30lb donut wing...

Before I jump to any conclusions, am I not using the horse shoe wing incorrectly or is it simply just a design issue compared to the donut wing?

The latter: design issue.

How much weight are you using? I hardly have any air in my BC, so I never have that issue.

How much weight are you using? I hardly have any air in my BC, so I never have that issue.

Well you still have to vent the wing on your way down and if you descend in horizontal trim and vent out the rear valve, you can easily get that. There's an obvious work-around, of course, so the more complete answer would be "design issue: yes, should it affect you: not really".

"design issue: yes, should it affect you: not really".
The less weight you need, the less air you need in the BC which means that you're less likely to have to worry about an air shift. So, not a design problem, but more of a skills issue.

I was using 5lbs (2.5kg) with a 12L tank. I could probably drop at least another 0.5 lb; but with the mask ripping and reg free flowing current (it actually purged my Atomic ST1 reg on necklace) at Raja, Indo, I just don't feel comfortable to get too light.

I do admit skill issue comes to play for sure. I'm only just getting a good feel for buoyancy control after about 100 dives to be able to glide close eough to the reef to see some of the macro stuff without crushing them.

But there are times, someone just find something cool a little below, of course I am going to try to go see that. As much as I try to resist not using the BC as an elevator, I just had to sometimes especially around the shallows...small puffs.

5 lbs is fine... if you need it. A half a pound won't change diddly squat. Is the 12l tank, aluminum or steel? Are you in fresh or salt?

Sorry i got a bit mixed up w metrics.

I could drop 1lb easy, 0.5kilo.

12L aluminum tanks, salt water. 3mm full suit. Add another 1-2 lbs w the buckles and lights, etc.

Love the ZET so far. Trying to figure out whether I should change the plastic waist clip for a traditional buckle. Is it worth changing or is the clip sufficient?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom