Hollis DG-03 didn't surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you :) I'm still learning and trying to get better. I dive a lot so that helps :)

I'm guessing you tried changing the battery before you posted. I've had my DG03 do all kinds of weird stuff when the battery gets low. The unit's "battery test" does not always read low, but my problems go away after a battery change (not that I've had to change them all that often).

I had a similar problem with my wireless air readings going haywire and a battery change fixed the issue.

It caused me to panic initially and took me a minute to realize it was a malfunction and not low air scenario and I decided to change the battery and check. Since it was a shallow dive in calm waters (around 18m max) and good viz., and within a doable CESA, we decided to go without air readings on my DC but stayed within a meter of the DM to air-share if needed after a brief exchange of UW sign language. There were only the two of us.

See the attached dive profile. The 2nd malfunction happened for unknown reasons - the battery had been change only months back some 24 dives before. But it caused my a bit of stress and I surfaced shortly after.

I rented a DC on the last trip when it went on a dive whilst in the box on the surface and hours before my first dive of the day. I just mailed tech support today about it.

I contacted Technical Support when I got back from the Philippines. They gave me a return authorization and it's been sent back for service. The computer is less than 2 years old and still under warranty so no costs for me outside of postage to send it in :)

I got tired of sending my DG03 in for service, now it's a paperweight. My issue is it will say I bounced to more than 200' on 40'-60' dives. Sent it in twice for the same issue and now I'm just done with it. I now dive a VTX(future paperweight) and soon the batteries will have cost me more than the computer. Hollis did fix my computer free of charge(twice and probably under warrenty) but I just no longer have confidence in it. Looking at anything other than PPS computers now.

To clarify Hollis was great to deal with, even replaced the scratch guard and the battery (which I did replace to see if it would fix my issue)

Now I'm a little nervous :eek: I'm headed back to the Philippines in a couple of weeks. I left most of my gear there and not much in the way of local diving anyway where I am in Texas for me to test it. Hope my computer is going to work okay!

I have owned a DG03 for almost a year. Put roughly 40 dives on it and couldn't be happier. I use a wireless transmitter also. I have never had any issues that have given me reason not to trust it. I have even compares depth with my buddies multiple times and it is always on point.

Back
Top Bottom