G16.. pictures and videos simultaneously? True or false?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand, but taking a good picture may require getting even more close. The more water there is between camera and subject, the lesser quality the picture will be.

Thanks ... that does not really help then. :-( I was planning to do a video and then if what I am filming come close enough to snap a good picture... but this way i will lose the moment... you know of any camera which allow movie + pics at the same time? It looks like the rx100 may do this

I certainly understand the situation - I've wanted that myself at times. In those cases I just use my video editing software (currently Adobe Premier Elements 13) to grab a screen shot and use that.

As the video is pretty decent resolution, the screen shot is not bad quality either. Certainly not as good as a native resolution photo from the camera, but still better than my earlier digital cameras.

I certainly understand the situation - I've wanted that myself at times. In those cases I just use my video editing software (currently Adobe Premier Elements 13) to grab a screen shot and use that.

As the video is pretty decent resolution, the screen shot is not bad quality either. Certainly not as good as a native resolution photo from the camera, but still better than my earlier digital cameras.

I tried this with my gopro but the fake still is not that good really, particularly of a fast moving subject and in low light.. :)

[QUOTE=" An other solution might be using a tray with camera and gopro at the same time. Best of both worlds.

I thought about it, but i really like to use the gopro on a pole... otherwise i feel it is really hard to get close enough for a good video... just my experience of course.[/QUOTE]

I put the GoPro on the hotshoe on top of G16. I don't need the LCD attached to the back of the GoPro & use the G16 LCD for viewing the object. This way I can save the GoPro battery usage. This way I can take good picture & video at the same time.

Certainly wanting video and photos is a dilemma. Worst case is when you find something like a small octo hunting on the bottom. Video? Photos? Which takes priority?

Now I'm facing an even worse dilemma. I just got a wet close-up lens for my G16. Now it's: photo (regular)? photo (close up)? video? At least the photo & video use the camera in roughly the same way. The close-up lens requires putting it on (or taking it off for video/regular photo).

Alternately you can have your buddy with the video light and go-pro (or other video camera) and you take the photos. Then share once back on land. I have one friend who dives with a big DLSR rig and a compact video rig. As soon as we get ready to dive he hands the video rig to one of his regular buddies. Works for him. :)

No. I'm not going to buy more cameras and take 3 things underwater.

I put the GoPro on the hotshoe on top of G16. I don't need the LCD attached to the back of the GoPro & use the G16 LCD for viewing the object. This way I can save the GoPro battery usage. This way I can take good picture & video at the same time.

that's a possibility but really I feel when using a gopro havign the pole to gain that extra 2-3 ft makes all the difference in the world, at least for me.

Certainly wanting video and photos is a dilemma. Worst case is when you find something like a small octo hunting on the bottom. Video? Photos? Which takes priority?

I think the rx100 mark II allows both video and pictures at the same time and I am zoning in on that camera at the moment to understand if the quality of the pics during video recording remain good... :)

Back
Top Bottom