Dive computers... SO many choices!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was looking at all of these too. I also looked at the cressi giotto (the 3 button one).
I do like the Oceanic geo 3.0 because you. Can set it to be conservative or liberal and is able to match your buddies dive profile, if they are using a different brand and algorithm
I do believe that my Open water hook did address the conservatism issue, if you and your buddy dive and his NDL has a shorter time than yours for the same depth you go by the more conservative one. Which isn't a bad idea because in several of my books it constantly, constantly, states to dive WELL within your limits

I'll try and break this down

Do you want wrist or console mount.

If you choose wrist, then do you want to wear it 24/7 as a watch or will a bigger "puck" size be okay

If you want to go down the colour scree route, then these are bigger still. However they benefit from being easier to read and visible in different conditions. The back lights (or florescent screens on other computers are not great yet okay for normal day use and the occasional night dive).

Yes AI. I like it and was a driving force for my choice. A lot of the reasons given against aren't really valid, however it does add more money.

Batteries - Watch style, AA size or re chargeable. Again all have pro's and cons. User replaceable is preferred by most, but watch style typically need a dealer to change. Look at the diving you are doing. Personally I like the re chargeable over the other two but that's just me.

Any one of the entry level computers will get you diving, even on dive vacations as typically this is what the guides wear while working.

I would try to get a computer where you can get it fixed and serviced locally if possible. Yes shearwater have a great rep, but it's no use if you find your computer not working a few days before a trip.

What sort of diving are you doing, if mostly following a guide, then why have a full tech computer with detailed deco algorithms. or multi gas? Ignore Tri mix and CCr as the cost of getting into that will make any computer seem like small change.

Often there is a huge gap between what someone actually needs and what they actually want. Also the majority of people don't care what you have as a computer (so don't buy it for bling) they care more for how you dive.

Given that you haven't even got your own reg I would buy cheap and use the money on a reg, rather than having the top of the range shiny computer whilst renting entry level gear.

But that's only an opinion

Wrist. Especially since I dont have a regulator. I've only been diving for a year officially now, sinceast September andast year so that's the reason for not already having a regulator, plus I just bought the basics, a full Wetsuit, good back, snorkel, fins and boots. All last year...

Watch sized - No I do not want to wear a computer as a watch. My cell phone is my watch.
Not sure if watch sized computers will be easy to read or not, they look large enough in store but I'm so used to reading off consoles and like the size of that. I am small, and I do have a small wrist, so I am it sure if a large screen computer will roll around in my wrist. A watch size computer like the D4i Novo and silicone strap might fit me better, but will I gripe about the screen size?

I replaced my D4i with Shearwater Petrel because of size and clearity of the screen. I could not read those tiny numbers in murky water. In clear water like the Red Sea, the D4i screen was sufficient.

For an advanced recreational (i.e. not technical) diver, any computer that supports Nitrox (which means, any computer currently being sold as a new, current or recent model) is appropriate.

Air integration is something you have to decide about for yourself. You should note that most (but not all, of course) of the people who recommend against it have one or more of these things in common:

- they've been diving a pretty good while and don't "need" the gas consumption data because they already know their SAC. That is probably not true for you, so their reason for themself doesn't apply to you.

- they say it's not worth the money. Well, that says nothing about whether it's useful or nice to have. Just that it doesn't fit their budget. Their budget is not your budget, so don't let their budget determine what you do with your budget.

- they tried it years ago and it wasn't reliable. Well, things have improved over the years. Modern AI seems to be pretty darn reliable (from the anecdotal evidence I've seen, anyway). AI has less failure points than a mechanical SPG - i.e. 1 or 2 O-rings and no hose versus at least 3 plus a hose with 2 crimps. Direct anecdotal evidence: I've had my Oceanic Atom 3.0 with AI for almost 2 years and over 100 dives. It's still running fine with the original battery in the transmitter and I've never had any failures or dropouts that I know of. I check the logged data and I've never noticed a dropout showing in the logged data, either.

As a newish diver myself, I really have liked and continue to like getting my gas consumption data logged, so I can review it after the dive. I also really like only having one place to look, on my wrist, for all my relevant dive data - NDL, tank pressure, depth, dive time, ascent rate and current breathing gas are all shown on my wrist and without having to press any buttons to see it all with one glance.

When I need a compass, I carry a separate one. Any computer that has a built-in compass (and I have one and had a Petrel 2, which did) has to not show other data in order to show the compass. With the exception of the OSTC 4, which is not available in the U.S.. So, I'd rather have the compass separate, so that I can see it AND see ALL the dive data I want to see all at the same time. Plus, you can get a good compass with a bungee mount for $40 from Dive Gear Express.

+1000 on this. AI, built-in compass, console, puck or wristwatch-sized - those are all features and creature comfort kind of things. They don't affect the dives that you can do.

The algorithm directly affects your dive. You should read about the alorithms until you understand the basic differences and then decide for yourself how important the algorithm in your computer is to you. As scubada said, it seems like one of the most common reasons you see computers for sale in the Classifieds here is that the owner concluded that that computer was too conservative for them. I've seen a lot of Zoops and Cressi Giottos for sale for that very reason.

She said right off the bat no tech, ever. So, not sure where the comment about advanced diving and RGBM and VPM are coming from.

It's not only about NEED. Nobody NEEDS AI. But, for some people (me, for example), they want it and they deem it to be worth what it costs. I didn't NEED a computer that is smaller than a Petrel, either. But, I wanted one and I deemed that the cost to replace my Petrel 2 with a SeaBear H3 was worth it, to me. I am very happy with my rec computer that has AI and very happy with my H3. No regrets at all on either purchase.

Do not discount getting what you WANT just because you don't NEED it.

I have an Oceanic Atom w/AI. It is wristwatch-sized and it shows me every bit of data that I want (not just need) to see on a recreational dive - all at once, including my tank pressure. When I can see everything I want all at once, I don't feel compromised at all by the size of the display. Why would I want anything bigger or more bulky? I could put an iPad in a waterproof case and have it show me everything I need, but would I want that strapped to me on a dive? It would be big and readable? If a certain size is readable, at what point does making it bigger and "more readable" start to become a drawback instead of a benefit?

And, AI has improved in the years since you bought yours, I think. Do you judge modern computers based on the experience someone had with something from 1991? Don't judge the present based solely on the past. From what I can tell, the only strike against it these days is cost. And, it seems that most people that knock it are, at the root of everything they say, really just knocking it for not being worth the money, to them. Everything else they say about it (with regards to use during recreational/sport diving) is fluff added onto the basic statement of "it's too expensive for me."

I've been on 17 dives and notice that my air consumption varies from dive to dive (like the one beach dive that lasted 90 minutes and we'll another beach dive where the conditions changed and I ran low in air in less than an hour) so I think it would be nice to see everything on one screen. If I do get an AI computer I probably wouldn't buy the transmitter right away thong, I can do without it for a while, I would want my own BCD next

AJ:
I replaced my D4i with Shearwater Petrel because of size and clearity of the screen. I could not read those tiny numbers in murky water. In clear water like the Red Sea, the D4i screen was sufficient.
Haha... Yes in Florida there is murky water here too I dove in Venice and it was terrible. Like zero viz down there. So much plankton and other floaty things everywhere

I want my calculated RMV for every dive. I get this when I download from my AI computer. I have my RMV for the last 800 dives. I'm not interested in capturing my start and end pressures and manually making the calculation. To each their own

View attachment 382240
View attachment 382241
Love this data

With Wireless AI, be prepared for connection issues. It is not a big deal in recreational diving but you might not get to dive or must leave it early if you do not have an alternate means of measuring gas supply. Lookup up connection issues for AI. It is far from a thing of the past. Also, you have a battery and a compartment that can flood. There are major failure points at this level of gear. From the many years of diving I have, Wireless AI is not more reliable then brass and glass SPGs. The most common failure point in SPGs is the airspool which comprises of a very small (insignificant) leak until repaired. I have had them leaking for years without incident nor being repaired. The hose failure is mitigated by maintenance and is easily replaced with a failure. In 1000+ dives, I have only had 1 hose failure on the HP side. This is also my only SPG failure total. All of the parts are inexpensive when compared to a Wireless transmitter alone and can easily be spared.

So far in 2016, I have seen :
1 Wireless AI drown (Water in circuit board) - last dive of the day so not a big deal but if it had been the first dive, they would have lost the second (might have even been a 3 tanker).
1 Wireless AI not sync up - almost cost the girl 2 dives, luckily the boat had a spare SPG and the tools to replace it.
1 button plastic SPG fail - Cheap and not what I call a brass and glass SPG - several of us had spare SPGs to replace that busted one while pretty much suited up to go.

Numerous times, nearly every recreational run, I see sync issues with a frantic connection. They are resolved most of the time.
This is why I find it incorrect to call it more reliable then SPGs! I still have mine from 30 years ago, fully functional and working. I also can cheaply and easily carry a spare, which I do.

Overall, for recreational diving, I like AI. I just believe that if the dive is critical to you, an alternative (SPG) should be considered. I like the data that it can present and that can be retrieved from it. It is a personal choice and should not be depended upon. I know when I do periodic buddy checks, I do not bother with the AI but rather look directly at the PSI.
I would still use both the AI and the spg.

To the OP-

I am also looking for a new dive computer for the wife because she says the DG03 is too big for her wrists. (She has tiny wrists) so now I am looking at the Mares Pro Puck in wrist form. Looks like a solid nitrox computer at a great price. Does anyone here have time on one?

Yes I have a small wrist too (I wear Extra small purple nitrile goes at work just for a reference)
So... Yeah I do want to be able to read my computer easily, but I also do not want a loose fitting wrist computer.

Yes I have a small wrist too (I wear Extra small purple nitrile goes at work just for a reference)
So... Yeah I do want to be able to read my computer easily, but I also do not want a loose fitting wrist computer.
Gloves.

Wrist. Especially since I dont have a regulator. I've only been diving for a year officially now, sinceast September andast year so that's the reason for not already having a regulator, plus I just bought the basics, a full Wetsuit, good back, snorkel, fins and boots. All last year...

The D4i is certainly a watch size computer, and it can be Air integrated in the future. The size means you can wear it all the time on a dive vacation - some people like that, rather than having to take their computer off and put it somewhere safe.

The Zoop (now called the Zoop Novo) has a slightly bigger screen, is a lot cheaper. The Viper Novo is the same size as theZoop, but you can add AI later.

Every thing else is the same, so your choice as what fits you and what screens you like :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom