Proper tech diving method for stowing a reef hook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Without getting into a discussion on whether reef hooks are acceptable or not, I'm wondering what is the proper method or recommendation for stowing a reef hook before / after use? I'll be in Palau again in a few weeks and starting to plan everything. Figure no pockets for stowing things, since the water will be in the mid-80s. Options I've come up with are wrapped around a double ender like a spool, or a series of slipped overhand knots, or simply coiling the line up, then whatever I do clipping the resulting arrangement off on a D-ring. Last time I was in Palau we just did a series of slipped overhand knots, but I'm wondering if there's a better approach. The closest analogy I can find is the Dive Rite jon line, which comes with it's own little carry case, and a few other discussions on jon lines, but only one specific to reef hooks in the advanced diving forum about a reef hook that came with an integrated pouch, so maybe some storage pouch (possibly integrated) is the right answer

I chain loop mine.

Start th elooing from the end you attache to yourself. The lest loop I clip to the hook eye with a double ender, the other end of I clip to a D-ring on my chest.

When I drop in I clip off to my crotch strap. If I need the hook, just release the line from the double ender and it all unloops.

During the dive once deployed I just clip off the hook, and normally re chain the line on the safety stop.

For me a hook is a last resort, Personally I use my pointer stick which is easier to get into a little crack. You need surprisingly little force to hold yourself stationary.

Only if I want to "fly" in the current, or if it's really going do I use my hook - and by really flowing I've seen someone's hook start to straighten in the current (that was a cool dive. Mad but cool!)

...For me a hook is a last resort, Personally I use my pointer stick which is easier to get into a little crack. You need surprisingly little force to hold yourself stationary...
Much harder to do photography with a pointer stick, though

Never use a reef hook but do carry Jon line(DIY) for wreck dive. Stowed in a pocket.

Pockets. Why not?
I was thinking thigh pocket on my drysuit when I originally posed the question. OK, what kind of pockets are recommended / suggested. I'm assuming a pocket would go on the 2" waist webbing, so left side behind the buckle, or right side and held in place with a triglide / weight keeper?

Much harder to do photography with a pointer stick, though
It depends on what kind of swimmer you are... I never use reef hooks... I have one, but never need it. When I was in Palau everyone hooked in and I was able to move around. (I get bored easy so can't sit in one spot for too long) You will notice that the guides don't hook in, they just cruise around everybody and make sure they are ok. If the current is so bad that I need to hook in then that means my strobes are probably hitting me in the head and I can hardly hold my camera up in front of my face.

That being said... if you are carrying a camera and if you are going to hook in, it will be in a specific place at a specific time (ex. the corner on blue corner) so you will want your hook easy to get to with one hand already hooked to your crotch strap (or lower hook on BC), daisy chained and ready to deploy. Unless you just have a go pro or a compact that you can just hook to your BC then anything will work.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom