The New Scuba Wagon... 2016 350 Transit XLT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's taken the entire morning to install the Kenwood Nav/Stereo and get it set up. I didn't want to drill any holes if I can get away with it, so I used a trick taught to me by Kevin C from the Hialeah Best Buy store and ran it along the weather stripping. What a genius idea!!! I started at the top, right by the seam of the the sliding side door.

upload_2016-9-20_12-26-0.png

The trick is to tuck the wire under the weather stripping. I did the small XM Radio wire first and then followed with the GPS sensor.

upload_2016-9-20_12-28-7.png

There was a nice little splice where I went under the weather strip and then under the main weatherstrip.

upload_2016-9-20_12-30-8.png

This fed to a hollow just under the right cup holder and behind the glove box.

upload_2016-9-20_12-32-22.png

The glove box pops out rather easily and I came up through a hollow under the ducting. I was careful to keep wires out of the duct. :D

upload_2016-9-20_12-33-32.png

It was time to do what I dreaded most: cut the dash!!!

This bar has to come out...

upload_2016-9-20_12-47-58.png

So these two plastic brackets can be put in...

upload_2016-9-20_12-50-27.png

They come out in order to screw them to the radio. I got lucky and they fit on the first try...

upload_2016-9-20_12-52-11.png

The unit had to come out though. The top would not fit until I stuffed the Maestro and the XM tuner with all their wires under it. Here's the finished piece.

upload_2016-9-20_12-54-46.png

Yes indeed, I am ready to navigate! :D :D :D The only thing I don't have is the light for the passenger side air bag. I ordered it, but they sent me the switch instead. Time to go to Ford.

Reactions: D_B
It was about $50: Metra® 99-5832G - Single / Double DIN Gray Stereo Dash Kit

It was a very complete kit too. The only drawback is that it had no instructions with it.

Here it is on the back table as I'm transferring clips and ducts from the OE (right) to the Metra.

upload_2016-9-20_15-5-54.png

Here are all the clips that came with it...

upload_2016-9-20_15-6-30.png

Road report... I took the Transit up to Cave Country for a test trail. Wow, what a blast. I was worried that all the hanging gear would make it like a moving wind chime. Fortunately, it's been quiet. Very quiet. I'm having a bit of an issue with my tank restraining straps. They are slipping so I need to find a different solution.

Road trip report #2: of all the improvements of the Transit over the Sprinter that I've done, the best was probably the simplest. I added a dehumidifier that is simply AWESOME. OK, it's a dehumidifier. Big whoop, right? Yesterday after a dive, I parked with my sliding door open. Of course, the rain came down, soaking the interior of the van.

Crap.

So, I closed up the van and plugged her in. This morning I was pleasantly surprised with an incredibly dry van. The sopping wet clothes from yesterday were bone dry. The floor was even a bit dusty. Nothing was damp or musty. The hygrometer was reading %37. This was amazing! What was more amazing is that the dehumidifier was full to the top and I had just emptied it the day before. I really like this. I like this a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom