Bauer Utilus low interstate pressures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neutrino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi guys,

I have a Utilus compressor from, I think, 94 and I think I am having an issue with it as it ‘seems' to be taking longer to fill cylinders than what I remember. It also appears that the stage pressures are lower than they should be according to the manual.
At 3000psi I am getting the following readings; 45psi and just over 450psi. Oil pressure is about 650/700psi
When I shut off the compressor it also appeared that they was a faint waft of an odorless ‘smoke’ exiting the air intake. Also when switching off the compressor the 1st stage gauge drops from the 45psi to 0 in several seconds rather than holding.

What are your thoughts. Should I be looking at the 1st stage valves?

Cheers
Rich

Is your utilus the smaller version of the capitano (i.e. U-2 vs. utilus 10)? I have the older version (U-1) and my interstage pressures are closer to 60 psi, 550 psi @ 3000 psi. The first stage valves are pretty easy to access and clean up so you could start there, but replacing them is fairly inexpensive and easy too.

I'm not sure to be honest. I know it is no the Utilus 10. It might even be the U-1. Your interstage pressures are what i was expecting.
I guess I'll open her up and clean the 1st stage valves. I'll get some on order too.
Before I open up are there any specific tools I need? I'm going to dig out my manual for it.
Cheers
Rich

Its probably a U-2... my U-1 is from 1974. Anyway you can find the manual online Bauer Compressors

You will need a Bauer valve tool, sockets, wrenches, torque wrench and basic shop tools. If you figured out how to get the interstage pressures you can figure out the valves no problem.

Thanks,
Will need to order the valve tool so will order the valve kit too. Hopefully it'll solve the low interstage pressures.

Cheers
Rich

Have you had any luck replacing the valves? I'm curious if it solved your issue.

The fact that your compressor has oil pressure eliminates the U-10 and Purus (U-10 with 2hp motor). Understand that the old final stage suction valve (7790) has been replaced with a new one which the old valve tool will not fit. If your unit has a 7790 in it, you will need two valve tools. One to get the old valve out and one to install the new one.

Hi Craig, you may be right about the 7790 valve, but lawrence factor makes a replacement that fits the old tool.

You can make the tools with a drill press. Just cut two pins that will fit in the holes of the valve take a piece of aluminum or steel and mark the pins location on the metal, drill holes in the metal for the pins. center punch to keep pins in the al or steel. you got the removal tool. If you dont want to buy or wait on one. took me about 30 minutes to make two of them.

I cleaned the valves and after speaking with LF they recommended changing the 3rd stage piston and sleeve. I did the replacement the other day and having the same results. Looks like I need to order the valve replacement kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom