FFM'ers, ABV or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghetto Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Recently picked up a DIvator MKII sans ABV. I am thinking it [ABV] might be handy at times to conserve air, but for those that have any FFM w/ABV, do you use it?

It all depends on how comfortable you are yanking off the mask and surface swimming without it. It also depends on the ABV (Ambient Breathing Valve) design. I used what was essentially and ABV back in the 1960s that was part of a snorkel that attached to a FFM. IMHO, that was much more useful than this design from Interspiro:

Interspiro - DivingProductPage

Thanks for the reply....no problem removing it, just curious if others found it useful.
And at $160, I am certain I can live without it lolz.

Curious though, what unit were you using with the snorkel device?

I can't remember which mask for sure... it was about 50 years ago. It definitely was not the Cressi Pinocchio-style FFM since it didn't have connections for anything but a regulator mouthpiece. There were several rubber masks around then that could accept a single hose regulator or connect separate hoses from a double, and came with caps to block unused ports. I used the left double hose port for the snorkel and a single-hose regulator. I remember the snorkel was a chromed copper tube that adapted to the port with an seal under the cap that was held in place with rubber straps... primitive but effective.

I was in my mid-late teens and enthralled by all the masks (FFMs now) and lightweight hats being developed for military and commercial diving at the time. I experimented as much as my limited budget allowed including making a couple of fiberglass hats before entering the Navy. I even adapted this snorkel to one of them about a year later so I could dive it off Monastery Beach in Carmel.

Last edited:
We have them on our Guardians and I like them, they are standard. While I have no problem donning or doffing my FFM in the water, having a dry face staring the dive is nice. The other nice thing is when using the ABV is gearing up when you live in areas where you need thick gloves. While it is possible to don or doff the mask with the gloves, it is much easier without them.

The biggest downside to masking up and using the ABV is the masking fogging until you go on tank gas.

I use an Ocean Reef FFM and they have a SAV (surface air valve) which is essentially the same thing. I opted to get the SAV and am very happy with my decision. First and foremost eliminating the snorkel is huge especially since I am rocking a long hose on my octo and I need to be able to pass the hose overhead easily. Also in choppy waters it's great because while everyone else is choking on sea water you're comfy and dry while still breathing just fine.

^Waiting for extraction in open water is where I see it being useful. I realize the mfg states it is not to be used as a snorkel, but I'd use it in this scenario.

I have the OTS mask, which has the same ABV that you can get for the Divator. When acting as a safety diver on the surface, you can be masked up and ready to instantly assist the primary diver by just turning it a couple turns. For rec diving, it's handy to breathe ambient air while waiting on a buddy. It will fog up like mentioned above, but a couple hits off the reg and it's clear again. The cool thing is that it won't let water in even if it's open. If you are floating/swimming on the surface and get swamped, water will close the valve and you will take a hit of air from the tank. It will open right back up when it clears the water. You can even submerge with it open and not get water in the mask, but it isn't recommended. I've been a few feet under with it open. I wouldn't want to test it at 100 ft. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom