Vintage Diving Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fabio Bartulicci

60 anni dall'affondamento dell'Andrea Doria 48 dalla famosa spedizione di Bruno Vailati e Stefano Carletti.
Dalla spedizione un film e un libro indimenticabili con lo stesso nome: Andrea Doria -74

Bruno Vailati e Stefano Carletti.jpg

They was dive Andra Doria 74 meter , all equipments are La Spirotechnique
The Andrea Doria sank on July 26th 1956 with the loss of 46 people.

Re Photo of Castro

I suspect very few realized that he was an avid diver/spearfisherman.

FYI;
I was separated as a Captain from the USAF in 1957 about the time Castro was coming to power.

There was an advertisement in the LA news paper that Castro needed experienced military leaders to assist in the revolution and establish a new government. The pay was $500 a month ! At at time $300 a month was considered a very good salary.

My last Commanding General in USAF was Robert L Scott who had been a member of the AVG in China prior to WW11 and wrote a best selling book "God is my copilot." Which was also made into a movie......

What the heck? Who not?

Then another article ...If you volunteer you would forfeit your US citizenship. That ended that almost adventure, I value being an American too much ...

After the revolution and Castro came into power there were a number of press releases with pictures of him diving or spear fishing .

When things turned sour and around the time of the Bay of Pigs the CIA devised a poison that they were going to sprinkle into his wet suit....or so the rumor was spred.

After that we never heard any thing about Castro's diving adventures

SDM

Thank you for the trip down memory lane and the great history lessons...please keep the information and photos coming.....thank for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom