Twisty backup lamps and corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, so I guess that the lights I have were not good. Nobody else seems to have the same problem is I have.

I also like the D26, but it looks a bit wide to me.

I think I'm going to go for the Light For Me backup lamp with C batteries. They have one for a good price that outputs 330 lumen. This gives it a good long runtime and for me this is bright enough in most cases. I prefer to use my lamps in there least bright modes, about 250 lumen, because I think 1000 lumen and more is too much in murky water.

The lights are sold by local shop that has a really good reputation and lots of people here use them and are really happy with them. They also have them in stock.

I just looked up those Light For Me lights. They look pretty nice! In general, I mean. I still wouldn't take a 3 x C cell light as a backup. Their Backup Mini XML looks like the same light head as the 3C light and it uses 1 x 18650 battery. Since that's what your D35 uses, I would get the Backup Mini (which is functionally the same as the DGX 600, just more expensive and one less O-ring to seal it).

Kind of agree with sturatv. Nothing wrong with 3C, I have one. But if you already have 18550 available, why not go for a smaller light that will work just as well?
If something ever happens to my light I'm not replacing it with the same thing.

Hi,

I'm looking for a backup light. A dive shop nearby sells lights from Light For Me and I'm interested in the Backup XML light. This is an aluminium 1200 lumen light that takes 3 C-batteries and you have to twist it to turn it on. I currently have a tiny Xtar D18 and one of those cheap yellow plastic lights that I use as backups.

The problem that I have with the D18 is that when I dive in salt water it turns itself on and burns dimly. Because of this the light is starting to corrode really bad. I don't have this problem in fresh water. The plastic light doesn't suffer from the same problem because it doesn't conduct a current.

Do all aluminium twist lamps suffer from the same problem when used in salt water? Should I look at a different light? I use and Xtar D35 as my main light and I am really happy with it, it never let me down yet. I'm also interested in the Xtar D26, I think this will be a better choice, corrosion wise, because it has a push button.

Regards,
Dimitri
I have the XTAR D06 which has twisty on off and slider. When I turn the twisty and slider off and soaked in fresh water overnight it came out badly corroded. It appears the aluminum tube is part of the circuit, and when soaking with the twisty off it conducts current from the tube and causes galvanic corrosion. When immersed these lights should have the twisty turned on or they will corrode in time.

... I recently purchased an Archon V10S from Banggood (Less than $30 including shipping to the US). I have yet to dive with it, but it uses a single 18650, and has a click switch and not a twist on. The LED is an XML with 860 lumens output per the manufacturer.

This is what I have (also from Banggood). I liked the V10S so much I bought a 2nd one. Well made and has withstood NE diving and some deep recreational diving. Never failed. Bright enough for my needs. Small enough to fit easily in a pocket. Probably one of the best values for a dive light that's out there.

This is what I have (also from Banggood). I liked the V10S so much I bought a 2nd one. Well made and has withstood NE diving and some deep recreational diving. Never failed. Bright enough for my needs. Small enough to fit easily in a pocket. Probably one of the best values for a dive light that's out there.
On your advice I bought one of these and am really impressed with it. It's more compact and gives more light than the XTAR D06, and costs less than $30.

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a backup torch for my BP/wing setup. I'm thinking of getting either anchor dive light spot 650, dgx600, xtar d26 or subgear backup light but subgear has been swallowed up by scubapro so sadly I won't be able to get that anymore.

I've been told by my dive mentor to get a twist on/off good quality 500-1000 lumen torch that has 3 alkaline batteries non rechargeable and is short enough to hang by my side without annoying me. Any suggestions?

Of those you mention, I would go with the DGX600 or the D26. I have owned both and currently have two of the D26 lights. The advantage to the D26 light is multiple brightness settings (brightest is not always best) push button on/off and the 26650 battery (more mah, more good). If you are going for a strictly backup get the hell outta here light the DGX600 is going to be the best. But, if you want a more multi-purpose type light that also serves as a backup go with the D26.

I agree with Doby. I do not agree with your mentor.

I don't like twist on/off. I have 2 x DGX 600. That is what they are. It takes 2 hands to turn the light on or off.

They have a new version of the DGX 600 with a tail-mounted push button. That would be good.

But, even though it's thicker and a little longer, I like the Xtar D26 even better. Multiple brighness modes and a much longer burn time.

I also disagree on using alkalines. If you're just going to stick some batteries in it, leave them there, and only ever use the light as a true backup, then that might be okay. But, if you're actually going to use the light normally, even if it's for shining in holes or under ledges on daytime dives, then I think rechargeables are vastly preferable. The only advantage of alkalines is the idea that they can sit unused for a long time and still be good, whereas rechargeables are somewhat hit-or-miss on being able to leave them sitting charged for the days or weeks between dive excursions. If you're going to take them out between dives and charge then a day or two before you go diving, then that is not a concern and rechargeables will be cheaper and give better burn time.

That Anchor light looks basically like a DGX 600 - but for more money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom