Cozumel Cell Phone question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unlimited data? The $2/day TravelPass added to a phone allows free roaming in Mexico with full benefit of your plan, but do you have unlimited data at home?

Sorry thats right you are correct...i share a 10GB plan so its pretty much unlimited :)

Sorry thats right you are correct...i share a 10GB plan so its pretty much unlimited
Ha! Not if you shared with either of my grandkids. We've on a family group and we have to keep them throttled with controls.

Look at the new Verizon data plans that include free Mexico roaming with 12 Gb/month or higher without the $2/day pass. I don't know what you're paying for 10 Gb/month, so you may not want to change - but look: Verizon Cell Phone Plans | Verizon Wireless

Great news! My plan stays the same for talk/text/data in US, Canada and Mexico now. About time!

Great news! My plan stays the same for talk/text/data in US, Canada and Mexico now. About time!
So you're on the new data plan that came out a couple of months ago?

So you're on the new data plan that came out a couple of months ago?

Yep. I spend enough time in Canada and Mexico it made sense to switch. My plan is good in US/Mexico/Canada with no extra fees. I have unlimited talk and text, a ton of data AND it rolls over now. :) Bottom line, better plan, much more data and it's cheaper! Shocking, I know. I stood staring at the guy in the store for a good 5 minutes trying to figure out the catch....

Yep. I spend enough time in Canada and Mexico it made sense to switch. My plan is good in US/Mexico/Canada with no extra fees. I have unlimited talk and text, a ton of data AND it rolls over now. :) Bottom line, better plan, much more data and it's cheaper! Shocking, I know. I stood staring at the guy in the store for a good 5 minutes trying to figure out the catch....
Oh really. Our family group was on the old 14 Gb/month plan I think, and we had to upgrade to the 16 for $10 more, but your rate went down? It's good to review new possibilities on phone plans from time to time as they keep getting cheaper.

I think you do have to have at least the 12 Gb/month plan to get free roaming in Mexico and Canada.

Last edited:
I switched my AT&T plan today in preparation for COZUMEL(!!!!) next week. For the same price as I was paying, the new plan treats talk, text, and data usage in Mexico and Canada exactly as it would be treated in the US. So it sounds like the same sort of deal you Verizon customers are talking about.

Now, what to do with that SIM card I bought at the Telcel office for my non-smart travel phone a couple of years ago ....

Now, what to do with that SIM card I bought at the Telcel office for my non-smart travel phone a couple of years ago ....
Make him an offer...
First trip to Coz in 11 days - thinking of bringing one of our old iphone 4s's downa dn getting a sim card and a prepaid card. Does anyone know how $$ this is? Our US plan is rather pricey to add in Mexico.

I have Simple Mobile (prepaid plan) with unlimited everything. Btw it truly is unlimited...the Internet does not slow down after a couple gigs. It worked fine in Mexico and I was able to txt/call/data without extra fees (cuz who are they gonna bill, it's prepaid). I pay $60/month.

It's a wonder that people still do contracts. I guess the draw is the phone upgrades but I don't mind buying my phones used from Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom