Do wings take in more water than jackets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just make sure the dump is the lowest point when emptying out water back on land.

I usually fold back a little part of the wing to accomplish that. Or use the inflator hose and roll the water into it.

_R

I think this happens when one was previously diving with more weight than necessary. The BP/W encourages you to weight yourself more precisely.

I think there is much truth in this. The very first thing I did was suit up and weight test with a tank holding 800PSI (smallest amount I could get). When dialed in I had shaved off 4 lbs from what I was using in my old jacket. I'll probably have to add some back when going to salt water anyway. Like you said, it's difficult for me to narrow down the source of my buoyancy issues because I was dealing with a computer that wasn't registering PSI and a FFM that kept free flowing. Let's just say I had a drink or two that night lol.

Uhm... how are you doing it, exactly?
Not sure I can be more specific. I just tilt the wing in the direction of where I am dumping and either press the dump button on the inflator or pull the string by the rear exhaust. Are bladders typically removable in wings?

Are bladders typically removable in wings?

Well, mine is: the shell has an all around zipper. Let in some ai, maybe you're creating negative pressure that's holding the water in?

Well, mine is: the shell has an all around zipper. Let in some ai, maybe you're creating negative pressure that's holding the water in?
Good point, I'll manually inflate it tonight and try again to see if there is a difference, thanks.

orally inflate it fully. Tip until the dump is at the lowest point. Barely crack the dump valve *achieve by pinching the line right at the valve and pulling your thumb and index finger from a point into an ok sign to simultaneously push against the valve body. That will have the air pressure push the water out instead of relying on gravity

agree on orally inflating the bladder to make sure that youre getting all of the water out.

if there's tons of water in it, get rid of most of the water first.

Then it get rid of the water, inflate it completely, hold it upside down so the valve is on the bottom, move it around a bit to ensure no water is hiding anywhere, and that the water travels down, then open valve and squeeze bladder at same time, so that the air forces the water out.

You guys were spot on with the oral inflation, it seems as though most of the water is now out. When looking at the bare bladder I can still see some drops of water here and there but I'm sure this is normal and I'm sure I had the same in my jacket (I just couldn't see it).

This board rocks and I appreciate the tips and encouragement.

I was in a pool at only 9' so the buoyancy was super touchy. I'm hoping that eases up a bit in open water.
The way I read that you think that the water in your wing was contributing to whatever buoyancy issues you were having. Water is neutrally buoyant, so even if you had a gallon of water in the bladder it wouldn't change your buoyancy, because it simply displaces a gallon of water that's not in your wing.

The way I read that you think that the water in your wing was contributing to whatever buoyancy issues you were having. Water is neutrally buoyant, so even if you had a gallon of water in the bladder it wouldn't change your buoyancy, because it simply displaces a gallon of water that's not in your wing.
Nope, I had a wireless transmitter not sending a signal, a FFM that was freeflowing and an STA that was coming loose from the backplate. All of that is what was causing my issues, or at least taking my attention away from what I was doing. I probably need another pound or two in my pockets as well considering the AL backplate.

Don't forget to wrench the wingnuts just a tiny bit on the STA. The cold water will contract the metal and cause them to loosen and freespin if you only handtighten.

Best investment I've made was Delrin thumbscrews in place of metal wingnuts. Either the Star (ie. DSS) or Circle (ie. Highland) version made by anyone will allow you to hand tighten them so they won't loosen once you hit water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom