Streamlined Lionfish Bag Every SE U.S. Diver Should Have...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
A little project I worked on today.

I think it's all our responsibility to take those bastards out when we see them, but I think a lot of guys are reluctant because they eat a ton of bottom time and we're not going to bring big, bulky zookeepers or catch bags on every dive. If I see 4 Lionfish on a dive and have to clip their spines I could be looking at 5 minutes per fish from initial shot to finally moving on. That could mean half my dive was dedicated to 4 Lionfish which we all know are delicious but provide little meat.

So, here's my solution. Streamlined, quick to deploy, not big like other bags and should hold 6+ Lionfish. Could also serve for lobster, treasure and mermaid hearts. This will also fit in a pocket. At least it fits in my waist pocket I bought for $10 from Piranha Dive Mfg.

This was the first attempt at making it and I think I nailed it, but I'd like to have the guys at the local machine shop make me one with the proper tools... CNC router, etc. I'll test it out Monday to see how it works and maybe put a few into production for sale. The biggest changes I'll make is to use black starboard and a blue bag. I need to also source a 316 spring hinge rather than the brass one I used. A better handle will be in order as well. I do like the clear trap door despite the fact it will get scratched to hell in no time.

Also, if you're not a typical hunter and don't usually carry a speargun or pole spear, the FoldSpear would pair nicely with this. Everything would be stowed away unless you come across these parasites that are destroying our side of the ocean. Foldspear

Anyway, if this is something you might be interested in or have some criticism or suggestions I'm all ears. If you're wondering what I'm cussing at in the video... F Tennessee! Gators can't beat them every year... Gotta let them win one every decade or so.

Last edited:
Another option if main point is elimination: spear and leave it. No cutting off fins, no need to stow them. Let them drop and move on.

Hey James: nice purse. I'm just kidding of course! I actually really like this design. I'm sure the zookeepers are great for bigger volumes, but I'm not so keen on carrying around what amounts to another stage bottle in terms of size. Your design looks really great for a nice streamlined unit, especially for folks who may not be dedicated lion fish hunters!

Looks good. The only suggestion I have is to have two doors instead of one, so as to halve the amount of space taken up by the doors when opening.

I'm firmly in the camp that thinks the Zookeepers are a waste of money when a Homer 5 gal. bucket with a slotted top functions just as well and has a much larger capacity. This looks like a fantastic way to bring along a catch bag even if you're only hunting as a matter of opportunity.

Love the idea but I can tell you from experience those bags don't drain well even with grommets at the base and I may have missed it but I didn't see any way for the bag to drain.

Another option if main point is elimination: spear and leave it. No cutting off fins, no need to stow them. Let them drop and move on.

Nothing wrong with doing that either. But they make great tacos. :)

Hey James: nice purse. I'm just kidding of course! I actually really like this design. I'm sure the zookeepers are great for bigger volumes, but I'm not so keen on carrying around what amounts to another stage bottle in terms of size. Your design looks really great for a nice streamlined unit, especially for folks who may not be dedicated lion fish hunters!

No doubt. It most definitely looks like a purse. First thing my wife said, "Nice scuba purse." Lol We only see 3-5 per dive where we dive so this should work perfect. I have a DIY zookeeper, but until we find a spot crawling with them it stays at home.

Looks good. The only suggestion I have is to have two doors instead of one, so as to halve the amount of space taken up by the doors when opening.

I'm firmly in the camp that thinks the Zookeepers are a waste of money when a Homer 5 gal. bucket with a slotted top functions just as well and has a much larger capacity. This looks like a fantastic way to bring along a catch bag even if you're only hunting as a matter of opportunity.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it out and see if there's an improvement. I need a better spring hinge. This one leaves the door sticking out about a half inch when open. So 2 doors would kill an inch of the opening.

YES!!! A matter of opportunity. I see tons of videos of divers filming Lionfish only to leave them. I think everyone should at least cull them and why not keep the meat? One of the best tasting fish out there. Even if you don't eat fish you could donate it to charity. I also heard a rumor that fertile females can still release eggs even after being speared. I don't know if that's true or not.

I agree a homer bucket would work just as well for $5. My DIY zookeeper came from parts my pool plumber neighbor had laying around. So it only cost me a bolt snap and an Ace hardware funnel. But they are just not practical if your mission is to dive and maybe catch only a few Lionfish

Love the idea but I can tell you from experience those bags don't drain well even with grommets at the base and I may have missed it but I didn't see any way for the bag to drain.

Yes, I was a little impatient sharing my design. I bought several stainless steel soft material twist lock grommets (typically used for boat webbing straps) and stainless steel faucet screens. The beauty with the twist lock grommets is it will allow me to put a bunch of drains holes and the screens will prevent the possibility of a spine finding its way through the hole. You can't add screens with a traditional grommet.

Of course I'll add a YKK zipper too so you can easily dump your catch and if need be you could unzip it a little while on a swim step and dump water.

Like I said, I'm going to try it tomorrow. Take it to the machine shop this week and see if we can't do some fine tuning and then maybe make 50 or so and see if people are interested in this concept.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

This is a very old --1950s-1960s - 50 or more years ago - concept ( technology?) that was developed and used in So Cal as a lobster bag. They were commonly called a "trap door bug bag"

The major differences was the California model had two doors with hinges on the sides creating a trap door.'

The were homemade so every one was a bit different. Mine were always constructed from a 12 X 12 inch sheet of aluminum which was laced to a nylon mesh bag and had a 3.1/4 notch in one of the doors to measure lobsters.

We discarded springs early in in the game after a season or two became rusty and weak so were replaced with brass cabinet hinges . The closing method of choice was either two strips of bicycle inner tubes or a length of surgical tubing under the doors which acted as a spring .

The KISS principle in action !

I published an article in the early 1960s in the now defunct Los Angeles Underwater News titled "Constructing a trap door bug bag." Unfortunately I no longer have a copy.

I do believe I have my old trap door bug bag hanging in the basement ...If I can locate it I will have my wife snap a picture or two for you

Although we Californians made ours --- in those halcyon pioneering days we made every thing especially if an item cost over a dollar. Times have changed-- you possibly have an item that has a certain amount of commercial potential.

In order to protect your self from commercial interest I would suggest that you take two pictures of your bag, make two copies of this thread take to a USPO place a one cent page on EVERY page, place in two separate envelopes and mail to your self only to be opened in the presence of an officer of the court ..ie a judge
Just in case !

I commend you on your ingenuity and hope the Trap Door Florida lion Fish Bag is a success as was the California trap door bug bag 60 years ago.

SDM

Sam,

Thank you for the information. I would most certainly appreciate a picture if you can find it. I've discovered a little modification I will be making for the design that will greatly improve it.

I did two dives today and didn't see any Lionfish so I didn't get to use it. Figures... Lol. But my buddy killed two (he had to cut spines) Booo!!! That's ok though, I'd rather not find them. That's a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom