Lotsa Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's...a lot. I'm about your size and weight, and with an alu backplate/wing (so a little negatieve right there), adding 10lbs is more than enough to sink me, and I suspect I can drop a few more (will test it out on the next dive trip). I can sink myself in just swim trunks with an exhale alone.

I thought it was too. I believe 15 years ago I used 12 pounds but I can't remember.
I think the saltwater got denser over the years. :)

...//... I have swam my unit up from 15-20' with 43 pounds and BC empty without drawing a deep breath. ...//...
I'm starting to believe this. I just determined that I can easily swing 7 1/4 pounds by level of inhalation alone. (Kimax Class B Graduated Cylinder)

A full Farmer John is impressive, remember them well. Somebody sink one and let us know how much lead it takes...

Was in the shop today and asked around about weighting. One new instructor (but 15 yrs. DM) said he'd need about 40 pounds in my set up. An IDC Staff Instr. said he'd be at about 36. Of course, they both dive dry all the time now.

The IDC Staff Instr. said 43 pounds is still pretty heavy. I dived today and all was well, though I did spend a bit of time in very shallow water and pretty much had the BC empty to stay down (particularly with only 1000 PSI at that point). That Instr. said some of the SB responses were probably from people who don't dive up North. Then again, quite a few here have said they use the same wetsuit & tank as me and I'm way too heavy. Not at all trying to be stubborn in that "I'm right!", but are there any others out there who use as much weight? The new instructor with all that experience agreed with me that breathing technique and trim have nothing to do with a weight check--it is what it is, etc.

Sorry to resurrect this. I was looking at the PPB part of Advent. in Diving Manual. Says:
10% body weight=19 lbs.
add 5 lbs.=24
add 5 if AL tank=29
add 5-7 if salt water=34-36
With my ancient wetsuit I was using 37 lbs.
With the newer wetsuit I did need the 43 (tried 41, 42). 37 nowhere near enough to descend.
These figures are for a "7 mil with hood & gloves"
If it's a farmer john you have 14 mil on most of your torso, so that would add some weight
(unless the manual meant farmer john).

I don't see any reason to apologize, and hope you get to the bottom of the mystery.

As I said earlier, my weight in A 7mm farmer John is lower but not by enough to think you don't know what you are doing. If you get a chance, I would like you to do a weight check on your BC at the beach in the condition you would wear it for your first dive of the day. I personally think your BC is more floaty than mine was, either inherently more buoyant or perhaps not venting completely.

Good luck and I'll be waiting for the next post.

Bob

Thanks. Will do probably in FL next month in some warmer water.

Back
Top Bottom