BOV/gag strap vs. OC second stage on bungee necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why run the BO from your on-board dil at all? My on-board dil is far more likely to be hypoxic than my offboard BO. I can and often do use 10/50 dil with 18/45 or 21/35 BO.

The OP (me) is mod 1, so air diluent only, for now.

I have both a shrimp and I keep a second stage on a bungee loop around my neck. The shrimp is driven from the same bailout source as the second stage.

I have both a shrimp and I keep a second stage on a bungee loop around my neck. The shrimp is driven from the same bailout source as the second stage.

Great. Not too bulky? Hoses easy to streamline?

Not too bulky at all. Additionally, if I am unfortunate enough to get a caustic, I have a fresh clean working second stage right under my chin.

As for routing, I spent some time measuring hose lengths to get the hose routing pretty clean. I also drive my DIL from the same off-board source, so there's a QC6 female end connected to a splitter that drives the BOV and the ADV, that splitter and the QC6 are on my left shoulder.

Not too bulky at all. Additionally, if I am unfortunate enough to get a caustic, I have a fresh clean working second stage right under my chin.

As for routing, I spent some time measuring hose lengths to get the hose routing pretty clean. I also drive my DIL from the same off-board source, so there's a QC6 female end connected to a splitter that drives the BOV and the ADV, that splitter and the QC6 are on my left shoulder.

Interesting! So you don't use onboard dil at all? What unit?

I dive a KISS classic but have several friends that do the same with their Meg's, JJ's, SF2's and other rigs. Remember, our focus is cave diving -- I've done dives where a 3L bottle wasn't enough for just wing and drysuit inflation due to depth changes and bottom times, let alone dil.

If I was doing simple non-penetration diving, I'd go ahead and use on-board dil. My BOV would still be connected to the bailout though.

I dive a KISS classic but have several friends that do the same with their Meg's, JJ's, SF2's and other rigs. Remember, our focus is cave diving -- I've done dives where a 3L bottle wasn't enough for just wing and drysuit inflation due to depth changes and bottom times, let alone dil.

If I was doing simple non-penetration diving, I'd go ahead and use on-board dil. My BOV would still be connected to the bailout though.

Got it. I use off board bailout (AL80) for the dry suit, but onboard for the wing. I guess I could also use larger onboard bottles - the JJ is pretty flexible with that, my instructor showed me how it worked with AL40s at one point.

The OP (me) is mod 1, so air diluent only, for now.
I meant that @Tassi Devil Diver 's dual source system doesn't accomplish much and makes it more likely to have hypoxic gas feeding the BOV.
But in your case I have the same question, so you have air as onboard dil and a cylinder of 30% as offboard bailout. Why put in both with differential IP pressures, splitters, multiple shut-offs and all that complicated stuff? All that accomplishes is making something simple complicated. You might start a dil with a half full 3L cylinder of dil - almost nothing and its air. If you "need" that in a bailout situation you need to be bringing a larger BO cylinder. Diving air dil, an al80 is more than enough to get you to the surface from <40m.

Interesting! So you don't use onboard dil at all? What unit?
If you offboard the dil (for caves as @kensuf said) The onboard (usually left) cylinder makes for a cushy amount of suit gas.

JohnyC,

For your Pelagian, is your backgas/BO also your dil plumbed to the BOV with off-board O2 on QDs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom