Proper tech diving method for stowing a reef hook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Much harder to do photography with a pointer stick, though
I disagree, even with a DSLR rig. Buddies of mine get great macro's with a stick and a big rig. If you're on a hook then I guess you're not after macro - even then you should be able to do it one handed, it all depends on the situation

Not a fan of pockets for hooks myself, I've seen people struggle trying to get the hook out and then clipped on in a current. Hence I like mine either attacted or easy to attach quickly. But each to their own, which ever works best for you

Without getting into a discussion on whether reef hooks are acceptable or not, I'm wondering what is the proper method or recommendation for stowing a reef hook before / after use? I'll be in Palau again in a few weeks and starting to plan everything. Figure no pockets for stowing things, since the water will be in the mid-80s. Options I've come up with are wrapped around a double ender like a spool, or a series of slipped overhand knots, or simply coiling the line up, then whatever I do clipping the resulting arrangement off on a D-ring. Last time I was in Palau we just did a series of slipped overhand knots, but I'm wondering if there's a better approach. The closest analogy I can find is the Dive Rite jon line, which comes with it's own little carry case, and a few other discussions on jon lines, but only one specific to reef hooks in the advanced diving forum about a reef hook that came with an integrated pouch, so maybe some storage pouch (possibly integrated) is the right answer

Anywhere where the sun doesnt shine is generally ok....

Not sure I understand the "tech diving method" of dive planning with a reef hook -- having never used one -- but given you need it, the simple answer is to stow it where:
It is accessible to you and your buddy
it does not interfere with the deployment of life support equipment
It will not cause entanglement / possible entrapment
Is streamlined
Can be restowed easily after use

Not sure I understand the "tech diving method" of dive planning with a reef hook -- having never used one -- but given you need it, the simple answer is to stow it where:
It is accessible to you and your buddy
it does not interfere with the deployment of life support equipment
It will not cause entanglement / possible entrapment
Is streamlined
Can be restowed easily after use
Nothing much to dive planning with a reef hook, it's pretty simple to have it set up on the boat to quickly access and deploy, especially if it was chain looped or in a pocket. For the Blue Corner in Palau, the group gets there and when the guide indicates everyone hooks in and we are like kites flying in the breeze (in this case current) and watching the underwater show. 15 or so minutes later when it's time to move on, the reef hook with all the line needs to be restowed, hence my original question. Not sure about why my buddy would need to access my reef hook, and certainly not when it's in use because the last thing I would want is two of us getting tangled up - that would be a full-on cluster. So far the best answers are chain looping or stowing in a pocket. Gasket coiling is simple enough, but harder than chain looping 5 or so feet of line once we all start drifting down the channel. I've settled on getting a friend to sew up a pocket for my wife, and maybe have a few extras for our group, but still trying to figure out options without a pocket as well

I disagree, even with a DSLR rig. Buddies of mine get great macro's with a stick and a big rig. If you're on a hook then I guess you're not after macro - even then you should be able to do it one handed, it all depends on the situation...
The Blue Corner is definitely not macro - more like watching an underwater IMAX movie for 15 minutes or so. My experience from last time I was there matches some of the comments in the first post of How to properly use a Reef Hook and I know for me and the rest in my group just holding a stick to stay in position for 15 minutes would be a significant challenge

I remember a case about one diver who had dislodged her primary 2nd stage but could not recover it. Drown while still attached to the line at Blue Corner yrs ago.
Dived the site on couple occasions but never used the hook(didn't have one because I refused to hire/buy one).

For the Blue Corner in Palau, the group gets there and when the guide indicates everyone hooks in and we are like kites flying in the breeze (in this case current) and watching the underwater show.

Never been there but from what I understand the Blue Corner is a 25-90' dive.

I don't see too much "technical" about this thread.

Nothing much to dive planning with a reef hook, it's pretty simple ....

I guess you've answered your own question then... my response was a generic one, covering the basic issues one considers with bits of kit when planning / configuring gear for "technical diving." However, I find myself wondering what's the role of the guide you mentioned, on a technical dive. Whatever.

A simple solution that adds pockets to a wetsuit is to wear shorts over the top... Neoprene Pocket Shorts

Pockets shorts. $50

DGX Neoprene Pocket Shorts | Dive Gear Express®

Or, bicycle inner tube in a Prusik loop through a bolt snap? Coil the line and tuck it and the hook into the inner tube (i.e. a big rubber band). Tie one end of the line to the bolt snap and clip it to your crotch strap D-ring. When ready to deploy, just grab the hook and pull it out.

Caveat: This is just an idea. I've never tried it or used a reef hook, so take it for what it's worth.

...I don't see too much "technical" about this thread.
Nothing specifically technical about diving the Blue Corner in Palau, or using a reef hook; it's more of using a mission-specific tool, i.e. for holding position in potentially a ripping current to watch the show. I was merely trying to find out how a "technical" diver would stow a reef hook if they used one. Obviously, reef hook use is not one of the GUE, TDI or other agency standard procedures, but a lot of times technical divers have better ideas on how to deal with specific gear issues

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom