Turneffe Island Resort - Requires dive insurance??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salth2owannabe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We are booked for an early winter trip to Turneffe Island Resort. We are filling out our dive paperwork and it says that "Turneffe island Resort requires all divers to have dive insurance". I saw no mention of it on the their web site prior to booking and still find no mention of it there. Their paperwork also says that if you don't have it you can purchase it there.
Anyone have any experience with this at TIR? Do they actually require it? No issues with dive insurance, but I find it a little strange to say they require it.

No experience at TIR, but of the last 4 dive ops we have used, 3 highly recommended "dive insurance" and 1 stated that it was mandatory. Our travel insurance met their requirements.

My wife and I stayed there a couple of times but it's been a few years. I don't remember dive insurance being required, but we always have DAN insurance and frankly, it's a good idea whether it's required or not, imho and it's not very expensive. In my experience, dive ops always ask to see your dive insurance card so they can note it on their paperwork.

Give TIR a call. Their Houston office has a toll-free number.

My wife and I were there last year and if I remember correctly, they did ask to see my DAN card. I assumed that it was so they would have the number available just in case of an emergency. I don't recall that it was mandatory, but it may have been. We did enjoy our stay. I suspect you will, too.

I have been to TIR but I forget about that. Since my wife and I have DAN insurance, it is not an issue for us. TIR is a pretty long boat ride to Belize City. It would make sense for TIR to require it because any urgent medical care would require them to run that person back and potentially on their dime if the guest does not pay up.

I recently renewed our DAN insurance and I agree that it is a good thing to have. Below is a thread about a fatal dive accident that happened last year that includes a discussion about letting your DAN insurance lapse.

It is just a coincidence that they were diving Turneffe when the accident happened (but not with TIR) because a serious accident can happen any where.

Accident in Belize

The insurance isn't a bad thing to have particularly if you need it.
This will be the first place we've been to that says they require it. I am a little disappointed they don't put that on their web page instead of waiting until after you book the trip then include it in your dive paperwork. if their going to require it then be up front about it.

I am a little disappointed they don't put that on their web page instead of waiting until after you book the trip then include it in your dive paperwork. if their going to require it then be up front about it.

I agree. I did some quick scanning of their website; didn't see any mention of it. Can anyone else find where someone would be informed of this prior to booking?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom