sony rx100 videos and pictures at the same time? newer models?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish80

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello :)

I read online that the RX100 can take pictures while filming a video, but that newer versions can not. Is this true? Any experience with that? What is the picture quality? Obviously I do not want a bad quality like a frame grab. So, is it worth giving up the upgrades of the newer models for that?

Thanks a lot! :)

Really? I read on the manual online that it was 17MP.. if they are not good quality then it is basically useless...

They're decent MP, but files not nearly as nice as the ones produced in picture mode. Cropped to 16:9 and my impression was also less dynamic range and sharpness, but can't really comment since I really only ever use RAW. Jpg, particularly underwater, is poor.

They're decent MP, but files not nearly as nice as the ones produced in picture mode. Cropped to 16:9 and my impression was also less dynamic range and sharpness, but can't really comment since I really only ever use RAW. Jpg, particularly underwater, is poor.

you are way more advanced then me then... I am just getting into photography (got some decent videos with the gopro however) so JPEG may be ok for me... are you italian btw (Mattia)? I am :)

Half, the other half is Dutch :wink:

I still shoot a mark I RX100, and I think they're still a terrific deal. The later models don't appeal hugely because I'm not super interested in video.

Half, the other half is Dutch :wink:

I still shoot a mark I RX100, and I think they're still a terrific deal. The later models don't appeal hugely because I'm not super interested in video.

Mattia, this is really the model I am thinking to buy, as I do not feel I am advanced enough to justify the 1000$ of the mark IV.. I dont suppose you could be so kind to post a picture taken during a video and a picture in normal mode (in JPEG to make it fair comparison) to see the difference? I suspect what may not be satisfactory for you may be ok for my level. :) That would be really nice of you. I would go to a shop and do that but they dont sell the Mark I anymore...

I can find the RX100 new on Amazon and almost every brick and mortar store with a decent selection of cameras. I have 2, will probably buy another as backup eventually.

Only shots I can find, jpg only, from my early days with the camera. First is a grab from video, second is a photo.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

What you can do with a strobe and more practice (same gear other than the strobe), processed from RAW:

https://flickr.com/photos/65423104@N00/sets/72157668749665746

Thanks Mattia I am in Hawaii and went to a couple of stores bu they only had the most recent models... I need to keep looking. Man your newer pictures are amazing.

I have the original RX100 and have taken a few shots while filming....but as mentioned above they are JPG. I shoot everything in RAW... it really is a must...assuming you want to get the best out of the camera.
The biggest issue is that underwater you really do need a strobe....or two for good quality photos. And obviously when filming the strobe wont fire.

I certainly would not say that you should base your choice on model on this one feature. I hardly ever use it really.
Considering your budget constraint why not consider the RX100 II. The two has the same lens but a much faster autofocus. The autofocus on the original is quite slow!
And the II has a few other improvements that would be far more beneficial to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom