Should I be using lube on o-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have seen some videos where folks will put lube on the o-rings of hoses going into their first stage. Is this recommended practice? If so, should I be lubing all o-rings on my kit? (computer transmitter, spg, regs) Also, is there a particular lube that is recommended? Thanks!

little bit on the hose and port plug o-rings for installation but not something that needs to be relubed on any schedule, just when installed. If your regulator is O2 clean, use O2 clean lube, if not, use standard dow 111 lube.

MasterBlaster - You win coolest avatar award!
If your regulator is O2 clean, use O2 clean lube, if not, use standard dow 111 lube.
Pardon my ignorance but I am not sure what this means exactly. I have only used air thus far but would like to eventually get into different mixes and Nitrox.

Tbone is correct in his reply but just my opinion based on personal preference, I only use O2 safe lubes because maybe someday....
The 2 safe lubes I know of are Christo lube and tribolube. I use Tribolube for everything that needs lube then there is never a problem.

Thanks, I'd prefer a "one size fits all" approach if possible. Just when I thought I was done buying things for my kit...

I doubt the OP is going inside his regs. So this is just for hose connections, mostly static O-rings. Technically static O-rings don't need lube, but I use a very small amount. Nitrox should not even be an issue. Dynamic should be lubed but even on something like a spool it's not O2 critical.
Inside the reg....that's different.

Do NOT lube your reg-tank connection O-ring. That's out hanging in the open and asking to accumulate crud.

I doubt the OP is going inside his regs. So this is just for hose connections, mostly static O-rings. Technically static O-rings don't need lube, but I use a very small amount. Nitrox should not even be an issue. Dynamic should be lubed but even on something like a spool it's not O2 critical.
Inside the reg....that's different.

Do NOT lube your reg-tank connection O-ring. That's out hanging in the open and asking to accumulate crud.

I eventually want to learn how to service my regs but that is a ways off so not too worried about it at this time. I just purchased a bottle of Christo lube with Prime because I need it here by Friday.

Regarding my "reg-tank connection" I assume you are referring to the o-ring on my first stage which connects to the tank?

Many o-rings that are static during regulator operation are dynamic during installation. That is, the surface of the of the o-ring must slide over a plastic or metal surface that will create friction. In those situations, spit will work if you do not have any lube.

Regarding my "reg-tank connection" I assume you are referring to the o-ring on my first stage which connects to the tank?
What o ring would that be? Do you have a din 1st stage? Don't lube anything that is exposed. I thought you were talking about hose o rings that are on hoses connecting to 1st stage. Not really necessary to lube those but I do.

If you put lube on something it should only be on things that are put together and stay together. Not anything between your reg and tank.

Back
Top Bottom