Good snorkeling locations in Africa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av2222

New
Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure I came to right place but I'll give it a try anyways :)

My friend and I are going on a long trip (4 months) to Africa, starting in November in Ethiopia,continuing through Uganda, Malwai and probably ending in March in South Africa. We're starting in November. Although our trip is focused on hiking treks, we would like to combine some snorkeling along the way- the big question: Are there any good snorkeling spots in that huge area?

We both really like snorkeling and so far been to the Red Sea only and was amazing .

We're pretty flexible about the course from Ethiopia to South Africa so we're open to suggestions even if it means we'll add another country to our course. We like to be independent and thus prefer snorkeling spots which are located close to the beach and doesn't require a boat to get there, but if needed and if its worth it we'll take snorkeling tours...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You probably have already completed your trip, but I wanted to let you know that Sodwana Bay and Aliwal Shoal are some of the top snorkeling sites in Africa. Aliwal Shoal is on the south coast of Kwa Zulu Natal. A lot of reef fish populate the area. If you have completed your trip, I would love to hear about your experience!

May be you have not heard of an Island called Zanzibar, it is part of Tanzania in the eastern side of the Indian Ocean. The islands of Zanzibar are about four hours flight from Adiss Ababa, Ethiopia. We have plenty of coral reefs suitable for diving as well as snorkeling and all the reefs are accesable by boat starting from 3 minutes to twenty minutes boat from.
We have the famous Mnemba Atoll in the north east of the island, blue lagoon in the south east at Paje this is only 3 minutes boat drive from the shore and three minutes from here there is a very romantic restaurant "The Rock", it is a small piece of rock with a restaurant on it. Besides snorkeling Zanzibar has a lot to offer for your beach holiday.

Back
Top Bottom