diving post Achilles tendon repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George Scherman

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be on the Big Island about 16 weeks after having a ruptured Achilles tendon repaired and hopefully before the other one needs to be fixed. Can anyone think of any reason I shouldn't dive. I believe my surgeon is clueless on this issue. Thanks

George,

As long as you are cleared by your surgeon for full physical activity you should be fine to dive. Ensure that he knows about the amount of extra weight you plan to be bearing on the foot.

Best regards,
DDM

George,

As long as you are cleared by your surgeon for full physical activity you should be fine to dive. Ensure that he knows about the amount of extra weight you plan to be bearing on the foot.

Best regards,
DDM
George,

Best regards,
DDM
Thanks DDM!

Indeed, on the surface, you'll be carrying extra weight, which will increase the amount of force you put on the achilles tendon. On the upstroke of your kick during a dive, your calf muscles will generate tension as well, but the amount is unlikely to be much greater than what you generate from normal walking. Talk to your physician about the added weight on the surface. If your physician clears you for that, then the underwater portion should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom