ADVANCED CLASS...HERE OR COZUMEL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@islanddream. You did 5 training dives in a single day? Under PADI? If so, that is a standards violation, and not a small one.

EDIT: Okay, I reread what you said. You stated you did boat, night dives, drift dives, etc. prior. What instructor signed off on your adventure dives? (boat, night, drift, etc.) This is screaming standards violation and I am hoping I'm misunderstanding you.

I read it the same way sounds like the instructor friend just gave them credit for prior dives. If that's the case I would want 3/5 of my money back and I wouldn't recommend that instructor.

Well, I'm in a similar situation. My plan is to fly to Coz this Friday to join my LDS instructors. After hopefully completing my OWC Sat-Sun on a referral basis, I hope to finish my AOW Mon-Wed with our own instructors and then just do fun dives Thursday-Friday. I doubt it will be the last time I dive in Coz!

Firstly, I would not recommend "advanced." Instead I would recommend full deep specialty followed by nitrox. This should give more value for the buck than 5 dive sampler in serious specialties like Deep and Night do not get enough dives and nonsense such as "boat diving" and how to read a compass is thrown in to fill the five dive quota.

Secondly, I would not recommend traveling to do courses. I believe that instructor students relationship should ideally be something you can keep for a lifetime and I would want to learn from someone whom I could be in contact with even after my certification is complete.

Whatever you do, dive safe.

@islanddream. You did 5 training dives in a single day? Under PADI? If so, that is a standards violation, and not a small one.

EDIT: Okay, I reread what you said. You stated you did boat, night dives, drift dives, etc. prior. What instructor signed off on your adventure dives? (boat, night, drift, etc.) This is screaming standards violation and I am hoping I'm misunderstanding you.
It's been so long ago, I've forgotten her name. Shortly afterward, I know the dive shop changed hands. Interesting, nobody ever mentioned we couldn't use our previous experience. Oh well, that happened 281 dives ago.

Interesting, nobody ever mentioned we couldn't use our previous experience.
Sadly, I don't think that is uncommon.

There's a record of whoever certified you. Their name will be on the back of your AOW card. I'd recommend notifying PADI as the instructor will just get a talking to and hopefully not do this again, as you were ripped off.

Back
Top Bottom