Sportsways harness spotted on feebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fossil_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm not sure of the rules regarding posting ebay links. If anyone wants the link just message me.
This is not mine, I just spotted it.
The harness is awesome looking and priced right, $30+shipping.
Look like it was made for a double hose and would have no problem clearing the can.
I would buy it myself but my wife is getting pissed about all the money I spend on gear. Time to get a new wife? Hmm...
s-l400.jpg

I have already spent my allowance this week on gear. Bought a like new Seatec horse collar this week and I have two tanks I have to pick up from hydro. If it hasn't sold and is still listed Monday I will probably buy it. But if someone else gets it that's ok. I really have too much scuba stuff. My collection has started to turn into a hoard. I couldn't even tell you how many regulators I have now. I have so many I have lost count. Collecting is a mental illness lol.

"...There is quite a history and intrigue associate with this unit.
I do not have the time or feel compelled to explain my statement..."

That is a terrible tease. Now I have to go searching the web for info on this thing and will probably waste the better part of the day doing it. Damn...

I made a best offer and got the harness. The listing was set to auto accept and it accepted my first offer. If I had known it was set to auto accept offers I would have started lower. Oh well, I can't complain. It was a good deal.
It looks like it is real uncomfortable. Lots of pointy corners. I don't know if I want to try t shirt diving with this one.

Now that you own it, begin researching its genealogy...or heritage ?
Suggest
1) Famous western movie star who was an early active diver
2) Famous pioneer diver...began diving in 1929
a) pole spear....spear fisherman ....SoCal Spear fishing meet
b) inventor-
c) LA County UW instructor
3) Dick Klein
a) established a number of pioneer diving companies ...one survives

SDM

Isn't this ridiculous ?

An almost mint very historically significant back plate (aka black pack) and the modem late model tube sucking bubble blower owner could care less and will probably modify and or dive this unit destroying it's value.

If there was a museum devoted to recreational diving It should be on display

Oh well Gone with the wind......

SDM.

Actually, the seller had a second back plate and I purchased it. It will go onto my mint 72 along with my Mistral and the whole set up will be on display in my office. :)

"Actually, the seller had a second back plate and I purchased it. It will go onto my mint 72 along with my Mistral and the whole set up will be on display in my office. :)"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By gum I have a new diving hero !

"Preserving past, in the present, for the future"
I commend you for your efforts and concern

Should you like to know the history of the back pack give me a buzz and we will chat

SDM

a few hints
Diver... know for his pole spears ...only person to win an international spearfishing meet with a pole spear
Now California pole spear meet in his honor

Movie star...in movie "High Noon" He and his family active SoCal recreational divers

s

Isn't this ridiculous ?

An almost mint very historically significant back plate (aka black pack) and the modem late model tube sucking bubble blower owner could care less and will probably modify and or dive this unit destroying it's value.

If there was a museum devoted to recreational diving It should be on display

Oh well Gone with the wind......

SDM.

I've been called a lot of things in my time but modern late model tube sucking bubble blower is pretty harsh. Not quite as harsh as someone yelling "squid go home!" and throwing an empty beer bottle at me from a passing car, but harsh all the same. (That's how people used to tell me "thank you for your service" 30 years ago)

What did I say that made you think I would modify it or damage it in any way? I collect a wide range of different things. One of the cardinal rules of collecting is to not modify or alter an item. I won't even restore something that is truly rare because I want it in the original condition, rust, dirt, dents and all.

As for diving it, now that I know this is of some historical value and not just another one of the millions of common backpacks that are collecting dust in peoples attics and garages around the country, I won't be taking it to Rainbow River for a fresh water dive with my 1962 DAAM on it to experience what this type of harness is like. Lord knows I really want to but I will resist the urge.

I recently started a new job and have been too preoccupied to do much research on it. I did find several examples of them that were made by Healthways instead of Sportsways but that is about as far as I have researched it so far. I haven't had the time to delve into your clues yet but I will.

I will eventually put it on display but I don't have a tank yet from the correct era. I just got my old PST tank out of hydro but it is a 3000psi steel tank from the 1970's. Although it would look ok to the untrained eye it would drive me nuts knowing it isn't period correct. I'm kind of OCD about that stuff.

I apologize for whatever I said or did that offended you and I promise not to piss on your corn flakes again or whatever it was I did that caused you to be upset with me so much.

Sincerely, from the modern late model tube sucking bubble blower that used to be a squid.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom