wristwatch dive computer - which arm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For those of you with "everyday wristwatch" dive computers (if there is really such a thing), which arm do you wear it on?

My watch is always on my left wrist, my dive computer (when diving) is on my right. If you have one of those computers that you can wear as a daily wristwatch, do you move it from one to the other when diving? Or ??

Or is the "dive computer small enough to wear everyday" just a myth?

Or is the "dive computer small enough to wear everyday" just a myth?

It is a "myth" indeed. For me, they are too heavy to wear and work with everyday especially when I am at my day job and working on the computer all day long. I started with The Spyder, Stinger and the D9 and I find them too heavy for everyday work. The straps they come with are too short to use with a wetsuit or drysuit also so I changed the straps to "NATO" straps. I don't know of any other brand/model that are light enough to be used as a watch.

Perhaps others don't mind "heavy" watches so it works for them but not for me.

I also prefer analog type of watches as "watches" and never liked digital watches.

I wear the primary watch computer on my left hand diving or on the surface. If am wearing a backup, my Stinger, it will be on my right wrist.

I don't know anybody who actually uses one as an everyday wearer for more than a couple weeks before they get annoyed with them, and inevitably end up wearing them only for diving, and then typically sell them later for something that's easier to read with a bigger display.

Last edited:
My Chromis is lighter than my everyday watch but I am most likely to swap for the chromis and wear it for the trip instead of wearing them both.
The chromis is light and small enough to wear every day for me but I prefer the classic SS analog wrist watch for daily use.

I have an Oceanic Geo 2 -- worn on the left wrist, that I also wear as an everyday wristwatch. Works great for me.

For diving, I've always used a wrist computer on the left (moreso because that's where it felt comfortable for me than for any other reason)

But as an everyday watch, I've used both a Geo 2 and and Atom 3 (pretty much the same size and shape as each other) as my day-to-day watches and never had any comfort issues with them. They are a little chunkier than most regular watches, but never got in the way for me.

When I am on dive holidays, I use my dive computer as a watch. It's on my left arm when I'm on land.

When I put my wetsuit on, I first put the right arm on, switch the dive computer from my left to my right arm, then put the right arm on. This way, the dive computer is always on me (I'm quite clumsy, I'm worried that if I put it down even for a few minutes, it might end at the bottom of the sea or crushed under something), and on the arm I like it depending on the use (on the left onland because that's where I usually wear my watch, on the right when I dive because this way, I can both keep an eye on it and a hand on my inflator during my ascent). Reverse the process when I get out of the water.

Obviously this is a question of personal style and taste, but I don't see the point of compromising the size, readability and screen real estate of your dive computer to make it small enough to be acceptable as a topside wristwatch. Multifunction tools rarely are designed and implemented as well as single purpose tools. It's not like a nice (or cheap) wristwatch is going to put you over your baggage weight allowance. I don't look for a BC that I can also wear as a dinner jacket...

As for the OP's question - dive computer on your right wrist makes it easier to dump air from your BC while watching your depth, either from your inflator or your dump valve

I have a Stinger as my backup computer, and I use it as a watch when I'm boating, canoeing or doing other water-related activities. It's a bit big for everyday use (doesn't slip under my shirt cuff and doesn't match a sportcoat very well), but ok for sport or leisure.

Since I wear my light on my left hand, the Stinger goes on my right wrist when I'm diving. And also for the same reason @doctormike stated. The strap is just long enough to fit outside a 5mm wetsuit, and when I dive dry I have a strap extender

Interesting responses, thanks. As expected, all divers are different :) And all the answers made perfect sense, depending on each person's preferences and needs.

I'm a "dive computer on the right", so that my inflator/dump hose is in my left on ascents.

On the other hand, I often wear that mondo watch you see in my profile pic. It's 50mm wide (60mm with the crown) and 15mm thick. I also prefer (as @doctormike ) a larger dive computer than most people would ever consider as a wristwatch.

So for me, if I had a mondo dive computer as a daily wristwatch, I'd have to either wear it as a watch on the right all the time (like a lefty), or do as @MelasLithos and switch arms at dive time.

Thanks for all the comments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom