Cozumel diving,what to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterduck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I posted this question in another forum and was steered here.I will be going to Cozumel in March and just wondering what to expect in the boat dives and of greater concern,the difficulties involved for say a 70 year old guy trying to get back onto the boat after the dive.Wondering about the wave actions and stuff like that.

We are 72 and have been diving Cozumel since 79. We dive with Tres Pelicanos. They store your gear, take your gear for you before you get out of the water so you climb out unemcumbered. 90% of the time the water is flat (depending on the weather of course) The valet dive ops 3 P, BlueXTSea, Living Underwater, Aldora, Blue Project and more, all wash and keep your gear and have it on the boat each day.. Have fun

I am a little younger...not much! Always take my gear off in the water and had it up to the boat captain. Makes it much easier to getting up the ladder. In March you may experience a Norte. The wind comes from the north and the water gets rough. If it's not safe, the port is closed. Lots of great OPs to pick from. Pick a few to check out, ask questions and pick the one that suits your needs.

I'm slightly younger than you but not much. I have osteoporosis, so am pretty careful that I don't bang or hurt myself as I have broken more than a couple of bones on land doing not much. As others have said, with a great many ops (usually those with small boats) you take off your BCD in the water and crew on the boat lifts it in. I have dived with Living Underwater for years and years and they actually have a "door" cut into the side of the boat to make it even easier (for the capitan) to lift it in (not so far to lift). I keep my fins, make my way to the back of the boat, and hand those up to another crew member once I am on the ladder. Easy-peasey. When the waves are rough or the current is strong, they will throw a line for everyone to hang onto as you make your way to the "door". That way, no one gets blown away from boat. All in all, I can see myself diving well into my 70s, barring any serious illness or accident.

I will be going to Cozumel in March
First time? Hire a private DM for the first couple of dives. Money well spent. There is a rare risk of getting caught in a down current so be sure to ask him the best way to escape. I've only been in one in my dozen plus trips, but it could be scary if not prepared. I just swam out of it.

I'm only a year younger, but I still climb the ladder with my BC & weights, altho it is a little tricky.

Good advice on the private DM. Here is a thread that might help as well:

Current Recommendations/Pricing

Wow,you good people are coming through like gang busters with lots of good information and I thank you all.Guess my age and the fact that I am a little out of shape is playing games with my mind.Oh,the good old days when I was fit and trim.I dove a lot back in the 70's and 80's and even was a PADI instructor but I haven't dove since the 80's and started back this year and as of now,since starting back up,I have only 30 dives in since about May.So,guess I am still a little rusty and can't hardly swim a lick anymore.That's why I was wondering about the difficulties on getting back onto the boat.I had heard that the seas can get pretty rough.I dove in Bonaire and Saint Croix many moons ago but the seas were very calm at the times that I went.

A private DM is usually around $50. If you are traveling with at least a group of 4, you can usually charter your own boat for about $400. Given the circumstances, at least the private DM would be a great idea, but I have never experienced anything I would remotely consider rough seas.

There is nothing to be afraid of as far as the diving goes. my 12 year olds first dive after certification was in Cozumel with no issues. The slow drift is like you are flying and I actually prefer the shallower dives for the brighter colors and more marine life. I would think that the hardest part will be standing up for the backroll in. If you are diving now and can walk with gear on, that should not be a problem at all.

Getting out will be by a standard boat ladder. I have not been on any boats with the fin friendly ladders...you really don't need them in Coz. I usually pass my BCD up, make it to the ladder, pass my fins up, and up I go. there is someone to help if needed every step of the way. All ops I have dove with provide water, most provide snacks but I usually bring some of my own. I usually bring a few coconut waters and snacks of my own. (CW works amazing for preventing cramps)

Let us know where you are staying and who you are diving with and we can give you more specific information.

Jay

I'll be going with a group of people out of a local dive shop and we'll be staying at the Cozumel Palace.At this point,I don't know who they picked for the operation but I might be talking to the shop owner today.I'll try to find out all that I can so that I can let you know some more details.

most dive ops use the "panga" a modified Mexican fishing boat, or something similar. Generally known as "6 packs" these boats have side ladders and can be a challenge at times to get up if the water is choppy. March is a little early for us, but I would imagine it is not much different than April, so seas should be not too choppy unless a late Norte is coming in.

the dive ops I've dove with over the past 20 years usually have you take your gear off and hand it to the captain before exiting. weight belt first ( if you are still using one), BC/rig next, fins last ... then it is much easier to climb the ladder.

I have also dove down there after being in a car wreck with a bummed up knee, and was able to navigate the boat ladder, with a little help.

I have several friends I regularly dive with in Coz that are in their late 60's and into their 70's, they all seem to have no problem getting on the boats.

just take your time, no one will rush you, the DM and Captain will do everything in their power to help you if you need it.

... enjoy your trip! ...

p.s. trip report's are nearly mandatory to be on the Coz forum ... :D

Back
Top Bottom