Mask Clearing Anxiety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had this EXACT same issue and although I cannot give you any advice about technique or anything else related to the actual clearing of the mask (which I now do effortlessly, btw, so you WILL get there!) is that I learned one very critical thing during this early "crisis," there cannot be any crisis underwater. I learned panic, in any way shape or form, cannot and will not serve me. I am getting my AOW now (three months after my OWD) and I remind myself on dives and in class, etc, that the bottom line is always the same, don't stop breathing and don't panic. Neither will serve you. When I initially had this issue, I bolted to the top, gasping for air twice, guzzling pool water and almost crying, just knowing i had picked the wrong "fun, summer vacation" activity. Then I realized I can't panic, EVER, if I was going to do this so I just sat on the bottom until I was calm, then I focused on calm breathing and I flooded my mask, still focused on calm breathing, then I filled my mask with air. The mask clearing for me wasn't the lesson. The calm breathing was and still is the lesson for me in every challenge I encounter. Best of luck....You will get it!!!! :0)

... you should be trying to "fill the mask with air" instead.

That's a good way to explain it! I have always known that this is how it works, but I had never thought about phrasing it like that during briefings. I will definitely be trying this explanation with future students!

Many, many new divers have problems with filling the mask with water. For most, the issue is that they are not used to NOT breathing in through their nose, so the first time that water enters the mask, they will be breathing in water. This is obviously an uncomfortable sensation and many will have the (understandable) reflex that they need to get out of the water.

There are a few pieces of knowledge that may help you:

1) It is not dangerous to get some water in your nose underwater. Just cough it out through the regulator. Yes, you can cough through the regulator. You can even throw up through the regulator if you need to!

2) Your subconsciousness will soon learn to not breathe through the nose in the water. You don't even need to concentrate or think much about learning it. You just need water up the nose a few times, and the brain will get the hint. If you want to accelerate that lesson before the next time you go to the pool, I got a really creative tip from a staff instructor: Take your mask (and snorkel if you have one) to your bathroom over the sink, fill the mask up with water, put it on, and breathe through the snorkel. When you can do that without getting water up the nose, then you got it!

Good learning!

Mikkel

@ChristieMIA I think as a pretty new diver as well that this is one of the biggest lessons every diver could do with learning. So long as you have gas and are diving in accordance with your training, you have time to act. Even if losing gas to a blown hose or free flow, you have time to surface either with your own gas or with your buddies help. Panic serves no use at all.

Hi Everyone! I just did my first open water dive today and loved it, BUT panicked at first due to mask clearing. Now I have read every tip and trick on the internet, I have had 2 instructors show me, Im even married to a PADI MSDT who has gone over it all with me. Now if anyone who has had this happen to them (and I mean really panicked, bolted to surface in pool, and felt sick thinking about doing it) can share their experience with me I would be so appreciative. I absolutely love being down there, but this small skill is causing me so much trouble its ridiculous. How do you get past everyone saying it will be fine just do it! To ACTUALLY doing it without panic.....Thanks :)
Mask Remove & Replace/ Clearing technique problems before & after:

I had a student once who was extremely nervous about doing the mask removal & clear. Now one of the issues was that the reg she had was extremely low quality, so I had her breath from my primary as I switched to my alternate. She said being able to inhale so much air effortlessly was the difference it took to do the skill. Unorthodox, but the performance requirement was met without standards being violated.

I had a student once who was extremely nervous about doing the mask removal & clear. Now one of the issues was that the reg she had was extremely low quality, so I had her breath from my primary as I switched to my alternate. She said being able to inhale so much air effortlessly was the difference it took to do the skill. Unorthodox, but the performance requirement was met without standards being violated.

In days of old we were taught this skill without scuba. We had to learn to clear the mask with one breath before we could move on to scuba. This was before octopus regulars were popular and "buddy breathing" was taught, when strong swimming skills were required, but clearing the mask with one breath was the hardest skill I had to learn. It took an hour long pool session, then a week of practice on my own to finally feel comfortable doing it. It may be in this thread but I once posted that many years of diving with a slowly leaking mask that required clearing throughout the dive was how I mastered the skill. One handed on my side, horizontal, stationary, on the move without a thought.

OP practice, practice, practice, don't give up, is the best advice I can give you and the only way to learn this skill.

Last edited:
She said being able to inhale so much air effortlessly was the difference it took to do the skill. Unorthodox, but the performance requirement was met without standards being violated.

That could be easily interpreted as "studying for the exam".

That could be easily interpreted as "studying for the exam".
Not sure what you mean. It got her over a psychological hurdle and she was finally able to relax, and doing all other skills smoothly.

Not sure what you mean. It got her over a psychological hurdle and she was finally able to relax, and doing all other skills smoothly.

performance requirement was met without standards being violated is begging to be quoted out of context. I'm sure she'll be fine if her mask is kicked off while she's breathing through an imperfectly tuned rental reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom