Back issues of Historical Diving Societies' journals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

14355577_10205607448345867_8717562124547769085_n.jpg

My gosh E.R. Cross ! (Ellis Royal Cross)

One of the giants in American recreational diving!

Seems like I have known ER Or Ellis all my life and a large portion of his.

The cover is "I think?" a picture of Bill Barada in a Bel Aqua dry suit, the snorkel is a Bel Aqua the Mask appears to be a
homemade one by Charlie Sturgil. Of special interest is the spear gun muzzle which was designed by Barada's brother in law and produced by Bel Aqua called the 'Hammer Head.' It was a straight bar running across the muzzle to which was attached plumbers O rings for power. A very popular muzzle in the very early 1950s.

The book is one in a series of books published in the 1950-60s by Trend Publishing, Faucet Publishing and others. They were sold for 75 cents at the then very few and rare dive shops and often at the grocery store check out counters.

<<<< Interesting that not ONE member of this board was introduced to diving via these ubiquitous books !
It was always Sea Hunt or JYCs 1966 TV program >>>>

I can't recall when or where I first encountered ER ...I think it was when he had returned from his voyage on the Four winds. and we began a life time of correspondence and occasional visits. Over the years I managed to collect all of his publications from his Skin Diving (aka SCUBA) training series that appeared in the 1950s in the Chicago based Divemaster Company (The same company that produced Americas and possibly the worlds first Diving Log by the late great Dick Bonin who later a co founder SCUBA Pro) to all of his hard back publications, all which have been personally inscribed to me.

All except one-- ER's "Advanced Diving Manual ." about 25 years ago I received a call from ER who was at that tine living in Washington state, He had just located the last few 45 years old "Advanced Diving Manual ." and was sending me one of the last remaining copy--I was honored !

I was also honored when he recommended me to take over his column in the now defunct magazine "Discover Diving."
I questioned "Why?" His reply was " There are only 10 diving historians in the world You and I and 8 who haven't been identified " What an absolutely great complement-- I was deeply honored !

ER passed away in 2000 - 16 years ago. I remained in contact with his wife who had moved back to SoCal for a while, but who is now in the big reef in the sky...

ER (Ellis Royal) who gave so much to recreational diving but has been forgotten by most.

A hearty Thank You to Trapezus for your work in preserving and bringing so much history to this board.

SAM MILLER

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom