Getting Certified Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solo is solo, there are a BUNCH of solo cave divers. Of course you would have to first be Cave certified before you could cave dive solo.

we teach the SDI solo class. it's a great class even if you do not dive alone! the focus is on self-reliance and problem solving/mitigation. One of the best classes i took and one of the most popular that i teach.

Uh, the OP was talking about having another student or being by himself in a cavern/cave class.

Get cave certified if you're up to it. Get solo certified if you're up to it. If you want to cave dive and can't find a buddy, hire a guide.

Hey guys. I'm a fairly new diver with my Advanced and Nitrox certifications, and I dive 100% saltwater with my fiancee currently off of our boat. I'm in the water pretty much every weekend, and I'd like to get a little more into the technical and cave side in the future (6-ish months from now).

Only problem is I know my fiancee isn't totally interested in cave and is not well equipped to deal with technical diving, so it's something I will likely be learning solo. My only other friend who is an active diver doesn't have the money for training either, so I'm SOL as far as friends go.

My question is, is there any issue getting certified solo with an instructor? Additionally, after I'm certified will I have any issues finding buddies to dive with? It seems like a specialty like cave diving could make finding buddies even harder as the pool of certified cave divers is rather small in comparison to rec OW.

It also seems like online there's a fair bit of solo cave diving going on, is that somewhat normal?

Thanks

Solo cave diving is not really normal. Cave training is based on teamwork, including gas planning and navigation decisions, two extremely important aspects of safely diving in a cave. There are some solo cave divers but they are typically very very very experienced, and it's still generally thought to be much riskier than team diving.

But, getting back to your question about tech training solo, meaning one-on-one, lots of people do that; my cave classes have been one-on-one. I disagree with the sentiment that the instructor can't evaluate you if he/she is taking part in the drill. Of course they can, they're right there. In fact, they're watching you the entire dive.

If you do want to get into tech diving, you should continue getting good recreational dive experience and maybe take an intro to tech type course with one of the true technical agencies, like GUE, TDI, NACD etc. You can apply the lessons of propulsion, trim, gas planning, situational awareness to recreational diving. You might even convince your fiance to try the long hose (hehe, no pun intended) and then you'll be way better prepared to eventually dive in much more demanding conditions. By the time you get to that point, you'll either find new buddies or be diving with professional guides.

So your version covers solo cave diving?

SDI Solo Diver standards and procedures specifically excludes solo diving in an overhead environment.

SDI Solo Diver standards and procedures specifically excludes solo diving in an overhead environment.

... and all other forms of tech diving. SDI Solo is only for NDL diving to 40m/130', with no overhead of any type (physical or virtual).

I've done classes as the only student and classes with other students. While I really liked the one on one training and attention I got going it alone, I found overall I remember more from the classes with other students. We had to really focus on what we were doing and both of us learned from each others mistakes which, I feel, made us both better divers overall.

The solo diver courses are made for sportsdivers, so within NDL and not deeper than 40m.
If you are an technical diver, there is no solo course for you, but every technical diver must have solo competence.

Taking a solodiver course does not mean you must solo dive, it is always a choice, but you will learn solo competence in a course.

Doing technical solodives is a choice too, never a have to or must. It is your choice and yes I do. I do it in caves, trimix, ccr, combinations of that. But I will never say to another that he has to do same. If you feel better with a buddy or in a team, don't do it solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom