Could have been much worse.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From speaking with Bryan after the fact, and seeing the video, I can say without a doubt that he was in a much worse spot that I was. I knew I had a wall in front of me, and an overhead above me, but if I had tried to go left or right and found myself restricted the way he did it may have been enough to send me into full blown panic. I was thinking about it today, and knowing how I felt in those few seconds, I think if one more thing had gone wrong it would have pushed me over the edge. Even something as simple as a flooded mask may have been enough to be the "straw that broke the camel's back" and have made my dive end tragically. Thankfully it didn't and I now know a good bit more about my personal limits.

So the pre-check dive-ending issue is the poor visibility? Because otherwise you would not have accidentally swum into a cave? Or the number of other divers that could create silting and cause low viz even after a safe start?

So the pre-check dive-ending issue is the poor visibility? Because otherwise you would not have accidentally swum into a cave? Or the number of other divers that could create silting and cause low viz even after a safe start?

2781.jpg

For me, yes. The pre-dive with low / no vis in what was really a completely unknown dive site should have called the dive. We didn't have to dive that day, it wasn't a working dive, we just wanted to get one more dive in on what had been a good long diving weekend.

i can barely use this website, so I am not trying to talk out of turn, I just need to know when to say "No Way" no matter what the dive leader says. My "Jesus Help Me" moment was in low viz, moderate current, open ocean, 35 feet of water but separated from my newly certified kid (12) and she went right to her training and surfaced by the boat. But now I wonder if avoiding crowds is same as avoiding low viz because of your story.

What's odd is that Troy is a high flow spring. When I was there the instructor had us look at the sand jets produced where the water flows out of the dynamited cave, and viz was very good. I have no idea what the usual viz is there, but it can't usually be close to as bad as it was that day.

i can barely use this website, so I am not trying to talk out of turn, I just need to know when to say "No Way" no matter what the dive leader says. My "Jesus Help Me" moment was in low viz, moderate current, open ocean, 35 feet of water but separated from my newly certified kid (12) and she went right to her training and surfaced by the boat. But now I wonder if avoiding crowds is same as avoiding low viz because of your story.

About dive # 20 I was invited to go into a cavern a little deeper than I wanted to. I was fine hanging around the first 10-15 feet of the entrance with my torch. I thought about it, decided it was not ok for me (despite really really trusting the diver), then thought about what I was going to do if he wanted to go (I would hang just outside the cavern with my buddy) then turned the light on myself/face and shook my head no and used my finger also (no, not that one! just my index finger wagging no). thankfully he was fine with it (why I trust him) and we exited and had a good time. Later on the boat I apologized for cutting short his fun, he told me it was a great dive, we all had fun, we all exited happy, and the cavern will be there later if I want to see deeper inside. Yep, it's still there, just waiting for me.

Bottom line is if your not feeling it just don't do it. No matter the reason. You don't even need to have a reason. Just smile thru your reg and say no.

@Lake Hickory Scuba (and @richiewrt) thanks very, very much for your valuable (and no doubt hard to write) posts, and your video. I'm a raw newbie - hell, not even that, since the OW classes are on my calendar, and my grubby little paws have never so much as touched a regulator - but in a prior life, I spent about 10 years jumping out of airplanes for a hobby, and I've always been interested in (and have unfortunately sometimes observed) the event chains that ruin people's days. I think there's a ton more to be learned from this incident than there is from the "obese and rusty diver on vacation using rental gear, already paid for the dive" ones.

The saying in skydiving is that you're dead as soon as you leave the plane on every jump... and you need to save your life, every time. Not just on the complicated jumps where you're at your limits, but sometimes on the ones you've done hundreds of times. Nature doesn't give second chances.

Who knows - the life you saved may end up being mine!

Last edited:
I really appreciate the honesty of both divers.

When I was sucked down deep into a whirlpool as a fairly new diver, I definitely panicked. (Current had gotten crazy so I thumbed the dive & was on my safety stop when it happened.) Lots of panic-inducing things there: Already breathing a bit heavy, no buddy around, deep, low on air, no idea at first what was happening & then no idea how to combat a downward current. However, I actually panicked because I kept on thinking, "Panic is what kills divers & you're panicking so you're going to die."

I've always felt a little ashamed that I panicked & that I hadn't read up on possible scenarios like this in the area ahead of time. Until I read both divers' posts here. I already knew panic can strike anyone at anytime, but until I read both accounts, I don't think it really sunk in. So thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom