Dive computers... SO many choices!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about the DM5 software you can download from Suunto free of charge?

Proprietary software to match their proprietary algorithm. I meant decompression planning software like MultiDeco, Subsurface, PastoDeco... Nobody supports Suunto RGBM but Suunto and no details regarding the algorithm are generally available.

backlights comes on for 5 seconds.

Can I adjust how long the light will stay on??

BTW, is the battery a rechargeable battery or is it disposable one?

CR24x0 presumably.

but on a side note, every ZHL-16C algorithm is sort of 'proprietary', because Buhlmann never created a/b coefficients for Helium for the B and C variants. So while we do have clearly defined numbers for the A, B, and C variants for Nitrogen, we do not have values for Helium, those are decided on by each manufacturer.

Strictly speaking, an open-source implementation like OSTC is not proprietary as in exclusive/secret: one might argue with their choice of the coefficients, but the numbers are out there for all to see and use.

No, but if you read what I wrote after that, the backlight stays on while you are interacting with the computer. It goes off after 5 seconds of inactivity. So if you are underwater and scrolling through information, the backlight is not going to go off until 5 seconds after you have finished what you are doing.

CR24x0 presumably.

Correct, a CR2450, standard user replaceable battery.

Strictly speaking, an open-source implementation like OSTC is not proprietary as in exclusive/secret: one might argue with their choice of the coefficients, but the numbers are out there for all to see and use.

It is true you can get the coefficients from the OSTC because it is open source, but I do not know of any other manufacturer that freely publishes the coefficients they use. So strictly speaking yes, there is one version of the C variant out there to see, but in general everyone else has kept their coefficients a secret. I could have used the word 'custom' I guess instead of proprietary, but just chose proprietary because it seemed to fit better in context.

I would had bought it even in its original version ie. RGBM, no backlight, shocking pink in colour etc etc.
Which brand new computer is "selling" for US$139.00?
A $139.00 computer to support Trimix!! Just to steal a phase: You cannot be serious!

I would had bought it even in its original version ie. RGBM, no backlight, shocking pink in colour etc etc.

Thanks. lol
The USB cable will cost a little extra, but nothing crazy like some of the other options out there. We are going to stick with the $139 retail price for the computer.

A $139.00 computer to support Trimix!! Just to steal a phase: You cannot be serious!
We were talking about theory earlier, not this computer specifically. This computer will NOT support Trimix, that will be a model later down the road, and unfortunately won't be $139. :)

We were talking about the Deep6 computer's algorithm. LandonL brought up issues related to Helium M-values (I presume that's what he was referring to). What other conclusion would there be than that the computer is going to support Trimix? I agree that it seemed so unlikely that that is why I specifically asked.

Yes, I was referring to the a/b coefficients in Buhlmann's model for helium. For anyone that is confused, the A value is intercept at zero ambient pressure (absolute), while the b coefficient is the reciprocal of the slope of the M-value line.

It was just an example of where many manufacturers interpretation of the ZHL-16C algorithm differ, because Buhlmann never actually finished defining values for helium there. When I said 'on a side note' I was really talking about the decompression model in general, and not our computer specifically.

We do plan on doing a tech computer with trimix capability though, it just obviously isn't this one. We wanted our first computer to be a good, simple, recreational computer, at a great price.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom