How Does Mike Nelson Equalize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some mask do have indents you can place your fingers in but you have to use both hands, the index finger of each to do it or at lest I do, I can't get 2 fingers from one hand in the holes. If the mask does not have the indents (the model Mike used did not) then you have to press the mask against your face and blow through your nose as well as using some methods that do not require closing off the nose.

I almost never have to equalize when I dive, so pinching the nose is not a necessity (there are other ways). Perhaps "Mike Nelson" simply had "clear channels."

I have used that mask and like others said, it has a pocket under the frame that lets you pinch you nose but it is not a good one. I prefer the present day mask over that any day,

My dive buddy & fellow NAUI instructor John, is able to equalize by merely swallowing.
Not so lucky myself however.
I had one of those yellow oval USD masks in the 70's (dating myself I know).
If you notice in the Sea Hunt episodes the mask is jammed tightly against Loyd's nose.
I could equalize with same mask by pressing the skirt up against my nostrils to block them. A PIA, and not comfortable.
My next oval mask had finger wells, then a big vol 3-lens wrap around, finally low profile, and nose pockets from then on.

Early masks (Cressi Pinoccio excepted) are not the easiest to equalize with. Still, a soft rubber mask makes a much better place to rest your nose than the brass "snot bar" used in a commercial hard hat. Much easier clean up too.

You don't want a visual, or worse yet a tactile image of that.

I noticed that James Bond in Thunderball is wearing an oval with no pinch indents on the surface, then suddenly wearing a different mask WITH the indents underwater during the awesome fight scene (or is that an open water class?)!

I've been watching episodes of Sea Hunt on Youtube, which brought me to wonder how divers wearing the oval masks (without indentations for pinching the nose) equalized their ears.

Finger pockets are not needed. Many old masks had a neoprene pad, regardless, just press the bottom of the skirt against the nostril and exhale. For many years, and still often now, I do not need to equalize.

N

I used oval masks for years in and out of the Navy. It is not much different than in commercial diving helmets and many FFMs (Full Face Masks). Most have "nose blocks". See for yourself. Press a piece of rubber or silicon up against your nostrils with one finger and blow. Some people can just swallow to equalize but most just pinch, or block, and blow. It is called the Valsalva Maneuver and is easier to teach and learn for the majority of people than the hands-free techniques.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom