Should I be using lube on o-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone actually know what grease was on their regs when they started to service them? And why are you worried about mixing?

My regs were serviced at 3 different LDS before I became smart enough to not let that happen anymore. I have no idea what lube the LDS monkeys used. Or the factory.

I now use tribolube on everything including my camera gear.
Are you saying you learned how to service regs yourself? How difficult did you find it to learn?

@ScubaDoo83 they aren't difficult to learn to diy service. The manuals for most everything are out on the web and it really isn't rocket science. There isn't much to it and not many tools required

@giffenk "normal" lube and "o2 clean" lube are not compatible with each other which is the problem. For o-rings on the port plugs/hoses there isn't much so it is unlikely to matter much, but it is important to know if which kind of lube is used on the regs if you are going to lube anything. Ask your LDS which lube they used and if they ask you why in a condescending manner, find a new LDS, but most should tell you for reasons like this.

Are you saying you learned how to service regs yourself? How difficult did you find it to learn?
Yes, no "formal" reg service training. But I already had related background engineering knowledge.

The real key is to ensure you understand "why" as opposed to "what". Most (some, all?) regulator monkey's take a course that tells them "what" to do. But they do not understand "why". So they are simply parts swappers.

If you already understand "why", then "what" is a trivial mechanical exercise of dis-assembly, re-assembly and verification.

"normal" lube and "o2 clean" lube are not compatible with each other which is the problem.
"not compatible" - what does this mean? Will they mix and form jello? Cause mould? (yes I am being pedantic)

I still am interesting in someone providing a technical reason not to mix lubes on different areas of your reg (other than it is sloppy). The lube will never touch.

I understand that if you want an O2 clean reg you should not have "normal" lube" smeared all over the place. I claim that should be obvious?

For a non O2 reg, what is the issue with a mix? (other than poor sloppy workmanship?).

During my early years my regs were serviced at 3 different LDS and I have very little confidence that anyone of them had any idea what lube was already on the various orings in my regs. I have a very high confidence level that the last monkey that did a cold water pac on my Sherwood had no idea (and likely never looked) at the orings on my hoses...

YMMV...

Cheers...

I only use MCG111 on all my scuba equipment. No silicone or paraffin wax etc and no cross contamination to worry about.
The grease(MCG111) is relatively expensive but since I only use tiny amount on every application, a 2oz tube seems to last for ever.
Servicing regs are NOT difficult unfortunately nothing is created equally. So some brands are more difficult than others. Obtaining service parts is another challenge.

@ScubaDoo83 they aren't difficult to learn to diy service. The manuals for most everything are out on the web and it really isn't rocket science. There isn't much to it and not many tools required
I've heard that getting parts from manufacturers is difficult because they won't sell to just anyone. Is this true?

The real key is to ensure you understand "why" as opposed to "what".
As a software developer I understand this perfectly, well said.

I've heard that getting parts from manufacturers is difficult because they won't sell to just anyone. Is this true?
Depends upon the manufacturer. I have Sherwoods. They will not sell me parts. My LDS will not sell me parts (not even a hose). eBay will.

I can answer this with experience.
Before Aqualung acquired Apeks yrs ago, I could order anything from a source in Malta for Apeks spare parts and service kits. But now they can only supply to authorized dealers or registered technicians.

I've had no formal training, no one showed me, I'm not an engineer and am probably of only average intelligence. I bought Vance Harlows book, asked questions of the SB gurus and figured it out. It's not as hard as I was lead to believe. The hardest part was initially finding a source for kits and the tools required, most of which I later discovered were not actually needed although nice to have. I've been servicing my Apeks for some years and recently began/learnt to service G250s. I'm glad I took the time to learn, I enjoy doing it and the sense of satisfaction it gives me. It's not for everyone but if so inclined it can be done.

I have been servicing my own regulators since I was 12 years old. Anything I purchase, with only a few exceptions, the first thing I do is take it apart and see how it works.

Static O-rings get no lubricant, dynamic O-rings get lubricant. Will a tiny smear of lubricant on an O-ring at a hose connection cause an issue, probably not.

N

Back
Top Bottom