Cozumel diving,what to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterduck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Planning on going to Cozumel in March was wondering about the difficulties of the dives,keeping in mind,for a diver just soon to be 70 years old. I dove many years ago in the 70's and 80's and just took the sport back up this year. Wondering about the boat dives and also the exit from the sea in getting back on the boat after the dive.
We'll be diving out of Cozumel Palace.

Last edited:
This may vary from one organizer to another, so for best responses you should include who you have booked your dives with. I've only been there once, but dove with a couple of organizers. The dives are mostly drift dives, so the boat drops you off and picks you up (ideally), which means there's not a lot of swimming involved before, during or after the dive. The boats I dove from were rather small, open deck. The on-board crew may pick up your fins and tank/bcd before you get back on board, which will make it a lot easier. Also, it's always possible to ask the other divers for help with this.

The diving is easy. Guides will always take you with the current for drift dives. Getting in and out of the boat depends on your strength. Boat staff should and generally are waiting at the ladder to take any gear you want to offload before climbing up. usually just fins and camera rigs, but if you want to get your tank and BCD off and pass it up, they should oblige. You may want to practice the technique from shore before hitting the boat. I also suggest wearing good dive boots with a thick hard sole to make climbing the ladder more secure.

Cozumel has some great diving. Nice reefs with lots of sea life. As others have said, getting back on the boat would be the hardest part of it, but the crew should be there to assist you get back on board.

Have fun.

Posting Cozumel-specific questions in the Cozumel forum might attract more replies.

I think you can expect to have a great time. The entries are back rolls off the small boats and giant strides off the bigger boats. Exiting the water involves taking either your weight belt or pockets off, handing them to a DM, and then either climbing the ladder with your tank on, or taking it off at the surface and handing it up, then climbing the ladder.

Mostly you'll be in gentle currents with excellent visibility. Sometimes the currents pick up but you rarely have to swim against them.

I am receiving some helpful information here and sure do like learning all I can from those who have been there.

We dive Cozumel 2 to 3 times a year. The operator will make a big difference in what goes on. We dive with Aldora for the steel 120 tanks and insane bottom times. I have dove with Dive With Martin and Blue Magic as well and have nothing but great things to say about them. Christi with Blue XTSEA is a huge supporter of this site as well and deserves a chance for your business.

If you go to the Cozumel Forum, I had a write up not too long ago about the differences in operations. As far as what to expect, awesome diving and great service! An operator with several boats will group yall according to ability and choose a site that meets your ability. Make sure that they are aware of any limitations, if any. Depending on how many of you are diving together, it may be just as cheap to charter your own 6 pack boat. Stay away from any operators that have more than 6 to 8 divers on a boat.

I usually take my bcd off in the water and hand it up. My back, shoulder, and knee aren't what they used to be. That's never been an issue. Entry is backroll, but they can help with a giant stride if needed.

The diving will likely be drift diving in slow current so there is little physical exertion at all. Lots of beautiful reef to explore, lots of sea life, and great diving at any depth you choose. The people are warm, genuine, and friendly and great food at what ever you feel like spending. We have walked all over town at night and never felt unsafe. We can go other places....we choose to return to Cozumel time and time again.

Again, check out the cozumel forum on this site...more reading than you can do in a week about dive ops, conditions, lodging, food, shopping, food, car rentals, food, and oh yea...food!

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

I have not been to Cozumel since they built the pier in 2003/4, but used to go at least one or two times a year. The diving was super easy, drift diving = no work. Because of the proximity to the main land, my recollection was that a rough day at sea on the western side (where most diving is conducted) saw maybe 2' waves.

You'll have a blast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom