a few restaurant questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We too are big fans of Otates and the fact that you can order "by the piece" which let's you taste all kinds of things without committing to a plate full of one item.

I'm not a fan of eating Octopus as I don't like the way most are caught, think they are far more special than your typical fish and prefer to see them in their natural environment instead of on a plate but that's just me... Don't let my personal feelings about Octopus dissuade you in any way but, then again, I must ask that you reconsider. :)

For Seafood I say Pescaderia San Carlos as well. You'll never taste fresher fried fish. From the water to the restarurant that day and from the fryer to your table in about 30 seconds. Talk about a some SEARING HOT AND CRISPY FISH! The place also is known for the FREE Ceviche with chips on the table instead of the usual Salsa/Pico offered about everywhere else. I will say, it is a bit pricey for food in Coz but it is worth it. I personally won't use the squeeze bottles of Mayo offered and placed on the table that aren't kept under refrigeration but with fish that fresh who wants to squeeze a bunch mayo on it in the 1st place.

For a quick hole-in-the-wall burrito we like Burritos Gorditos... One owner who cooks and preps everything daily for the day and when it's all gone he closes up (usually pretty early so this place is nest for lunch or an early dinner at maybe 4PM at the latest. Really friendly guy and if you dont' know what type of meat you want in your burrito he'll give you a sample of each on a plate to try before you select. Heck, I was about filled up after eating all the meat he gave me to taste. King Burrito relocated really close to Gorditos which is supposed to be really good as well (some claim better) but we have yet to try it.

How about El Billy's BBQ? Yup... BBQ on coz and for a little $ he'll load you with 3x the BBQ and all the trimmings you can possibly eat (lots a leftovers so make sure you are staying somewhere that has a fridge if you go there to "dine" at one of the 2-3 tables amidst the BBQ smoke). This is a place you can just walk in, ask for a table, sit down and say "queremos probar todo" or "we want to try it all" and when you're stuffed to the point you wonder if you can even walk the bill you're handed will be so small you'll wonder how they stay in business. The load of leftovers you'll leave with can serve an army. Place does 99% of its business as take-out.

And when you are sick of Mexican food, don't forget the little shack Hamburguesa House you can walk past 5 times looking for it and miss when it isn't open. In town and also does 95% of its business as delivery/takeout. Opens later (7PM) and isn't open every day. Worth the wait as they rush to fill all the delivery orders.

Last edited:
My wife really likes the Octopus ceviche and the conch ceviche at La Conchita del Caribe. Me, I like the fresh fish and the shrimp cocktail........

Thanks, people! El Moro seems to fit the bill for Question 1. And I think I have ceviche and seafood cocktail options well in hand, not to mention seafood in general. Pescaderia San Carlos, La Perlita, and Cocteleria La Conchita del Caribe are all on my list now. Also Sky Reef! On the previous trips we packed in three dives a day every day (four on two of the days, counting the night dive), and we not only exhausted ourselves but never had a chance to explore outside the downtown zone. This time, we're taking a full day off in the middle of the trip. Sky Reef sounds like just the ticket. If that new "hop on hop off" bus tour works out, we can continue around the east side afterwards. Not having done this kind of advance planning for the previous trips, after the night dives we stumbled around ravenously looking for the closest place that was open, and what we found was rarely what we wanted.

As to Question 3, might my dim memory of a street with a lot of taquerias be 30th Av. (Joaquin Coldwell)? I see that's where El Pique, Los Seras, and others are located.

As to Question 3, might my dim memory of a street with a lot of taquerias be 30th Av. (Joaquin Coldwell)? I see that's where El Pique, Los Seras, and others are located.
I believe you were speaking of 30th. During the day you might also check in and around the Mercado. There are lots of small places that cater to the lunch croud. One gem I tried last week in that area for lunch was Miss Dollars (20 Ave between Adolfo Rosado Salas & 3rd) the Comida del Dia was very good and reasonable.

La Cucina italiana

My partner and I ate there 4 times in two weeks because we loved it so much. You eat in the owner's home. The chef is a chef who if I'm not mistaking is famous. My second favorite place to eat would be Las Palmas. Super awesome food and super cheap.

Our go to place in Coz for seafood is La Mission. It's casual and we can just walk in. It's a half block off the main strip.
If you want a fancy night out they have a fancier restaurant call Casa Mission. You'll want to book for Casa and dress up a bit is recommended.
And if you go to either of them I highly recommend the spanish coffee for a night cap :wink:

Last edited:
I think we'll pass on Italian food, but the concept looks really cool from what I could tell from a minute of Googling.

Our go to place in Coz for seafood is La Mission. It's casual and we can just walk in. It's a half block off the main strip.
If you want a fancy night out they have a fancier restaurant call Casa Mission. You'll want to book for Casa and dress up a bit is recommended.
And if you go to either get them I highly recommend the spanish coffee for a night cap :wink:

Thanks. We've peeked in at them on our previous trips and decided to pass. Now, the one you omitted, Parilla Mission, is more our style. Anyplace that sells arrachera by the kilo gets points from me. Having read just about every Coz restaurant thread on SB, poked around Yelp and Tripadvisor, etc., I have yet to find a restaurant that tempts us enough to dress up and go fancy. I have had all the "fine dining" I could wish for in Mexico City. On vacation in Coz, I'm looking forward to eating in flip flops and a dive t-shirt :)

Thanks. We've peeked in at them on our previous trips and decided to pass. Now, the one you omitted, Parilla Mission, is more our style.
I believe that Parilla Mission is no mas.

An other plus to La / Casa mission is their house lime soup. It comes free with each meal, with chips and salsa of coarse, and I just got to have it on the island.
My wife has tried to copy it with no success :(
Crap, all this talk is making me really miss coz :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom