Carry-On Backplate-Backpack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fin Finder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This came up in another thread and really sparked my interest.

backplate_pak-01.gif

Backplate and Pack | Deep-Sea Sherpa

Has anyone made one of these?

It looks pretty simple.
Just some kind of appropriately sized bag with a few corresponding grommet holes, add some assembly screws, and a detachable crotch strap… and you have a carry-on backplate backpack.
Is that all it is or am missing something?

Has anyone traveled with one of these? How does TSA and the airlines view them?
Any problems getting them through security?
Any ideas on improvements over the basic design?

Last edited:
That plate would make a pretty good weapon. Given the choice between a knife and that back pack I would choose the back pack.
Not sure how the TSA would react. You can't predict what they will do based on common sense.

A friend of mine has just flown from the UK to Egypt and back with a back plate in his backpack. No problems.

Same guy flying out of South Africa got stopped once as the security guy thought the back plate was a bullet proof vest. Forced him to check the back plate into the hold, delaying the flight in the process.

The whole weapon thing doesn't make sense really. What would make a better weapon would be one of the many glass bottles containing alcohol you can readily buy in duty free. But there we go...

There's also a post/pic from a few years ago somewhere on SB--I can't seem to find it--that shows someone's version of this concept using the Feedom plate. It looked really slick. Wish I could find the post. Maybe @Eric Sedletzky knows.

I've been on one round trip with the backplate in my carry on and they never opened the bag. It doesn't seem to be something they're concerned about. Line cutters and weights -- especially hard weights -- seem to be the only items of concern security wise.

That plate would make a pretty good weapon. Given the choice between a knife and that back pack I would choose the back pack.
Not sure how the TSA would react. You can't predict what they will do based on common sense.

I would be more concerned about foreign airport security goons than the US's TSA. Some seem to look for reasons to confiscate things.

The actual rucksack portion of most external frame backpacks are made with holes and grommets already, to be hung onto the backpack frame. Some clevis pins and cotter pins or small R clips (hitch pins?) would probably attach one right onto a back plate. It would just be a matter of finding a well-matched size.

I would keep my attached crotch strap and see if it wasn't secure just by tucking it up vertically between the plate and backpack.

Otherwise, a heavy duty, plain old canvas duffel bag, or top-loading army duffel bag seems like a prime candidate to pinch the sides (sew them, if you're feeling fancy) and punch holes. Maybe even install grommets.

ps. I've flown to Mexico once and Hawaii twice with my SS BP in my carry-on bag. The most comment I got was "is that scuba equipment?"

Here's what I just finished last week:
PA140006.JPG

The backpack is 1" under the max airline carry-on dimensions in each direction, and attaches to the backplate with book screws through the three double grommets:
PA140002.JPG

There's two compartments, front and rear, with zippers going around three sides. The front compartment holds everything necessary to set up my kit -- wing, regs, cam bands, crotch strap, and some accessories (SMB, spool, lights, whistle, etc):

PA140003.JPG

The divider panel between the front and rear has a large screened area in the center so that the gear can air dry while packed, at least to some degree:

PA140004.JPG

The rear compartment is the same size as the front, and holds everything I use to set up for the dive after I have my kit together: Wetsuit, wetboots, gloves, mask, snorkel, compass, DC, defog:
PA140005.JPG

The rear panel also has a large screened area. I'm planning on adding some lashing points so that I can carry my fins and a water bottle attached to the outside. I think it will then exceed the carry-on maximum but it's still useful while walking to shore or to a boat.

Another view:

PA140007.JPG

I'll put a bungee or something around the center for air travel to make sure it stays within the 9" limit.

Attachments

• PA140003.JPG
    PA140003.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 703
I used about a yard and a half of cotton duck fabric, two spools of thread, six grommets, two 48" zippers, and about 1/3 of a yard of the screen material. Probably $50 of materials, although as with many experimental sewing projects, I bought more fabric and supplies than I needed because I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. I made a muslin "dummy" -- a mockup using inexpensive fabric -- first to check the fit on the backplate.

Not difficult but not a beginner project either due to the zippers and the difficulty of getting everything aligned for the three-way center seam. I used a heavier 20/120 needle but just an ordinary sewing machine, with regular and zigzag settings, and no accessories other than a zipper foot.

I did buy a set of grommet pliers to set the grommets.

If you decide to turn this into a little business, put me on your list of customers! I have given this idea much thought over the years, but I don't have the ability to make one myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom