Looking to buy SCUBA Tanks.....a lot....a mean really a bunch !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
WANTED Scuba tanks....out of hydro, without valves...old and dusty....crappy paint ......all okay !!

I am looking to buy 500 tanks. I will be in San Diego Sept 27 and Sept 28 and again September 31 and will pay ca$h for your old tanks. I will be in Orange Couty and Los Angeles Sept 28 and Sept 29

The only thing I am NOT interested in any Aluminum 6351-T6 tanks ( Luxfer, Cliff and Walter Kidde pre 1991 ). or RUSTY steel tanks.

OUT of hydro...without valves....bad paint....all okay...

Please email Kevin Rottner at bajakevin@gmail.com

Thanks

Kevin

Open water habitat is the only place I know of that would have anywhere near that many tanks even with their stock i think 500 is a stretch. Hit up gary or mike. Also what the hell do you need 500 tanks for?

Jensfic

Since you have not received an answer perhaps I can provide some insight.

The OP wants old SCUBA tanks to convert them into SCUBA bells and or Regulator displays.

Most, but not all SCUBA bells are made by using a metal chop saw to cut off the bottom of the SCUBA tank, install as attachment device on top and a bell clapper internally and presto! A SCUBA Bell.

You can see a partial view of one that sets in our foyer ..Go to "WWWportagequarry.com "legends of diving" Orange County did you know?
There you will see a picture of me, Pat & Cindy Smith with one of my wife's bells in the back ground

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ OR ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cut off the top ( where the Hydro stamps are located) and presto! a regulator display for a SCUBA (dive) Shops and collectors.
( I was the LA Co Outstanding UW Instructor in 1969 and one of my awards was a gold plated 2 hose regulator which I have mounted on the top of a SCUBA tank top setting on a shelf behind me- and where it has been for over 25 years)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~OR ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As the LA Co Underwater Instructors Association did so many years ago cut 38s, 42s etc length ways install some hinges, a handle and a grate and Presto! A SCUBA Bar B Que. They made a number of them and sold them for several years at the SCUBA Show, ( Now in Long Beach)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I. my wife and many of our friends have been making SCUBA bells for --gosh 35 perhaps 40 or more years.
There is considerable more work than just cutting the bell .....over the years we have experimented with all sorts of ways to camouflage the external appearance of the bell to convert it into an acceptable piece of art , to create numerous methods of attachements, and of course all sort of clappers to soften and often change the tone of the bell. And now we are experimenting with aluminum and beginning to get great tones out of them.

Mrs Miller and I have been fortunate to have been engaged in diving for many years,me since the 1940s beginning with googles, my wife for over 50 years beginning with double hose reguators, as one would imagine our home is a combination of a home and a diving museum with all sorts memorabilia past adventures and 7 SCUBA bells , 1 in the foyer, 2 in the living room and 4 out side as lawn art.

As a young spearfisherman recently said as he walked in "So this is what a real divers home looks like !"

I hope this explains the reason for the OP wanting used SCUBA tanks .

Save your condemned tanks or rush over to your local shop and grab a few to make your own SCUBA bells or even SCUBA chimes

SDM

I wonder how many SCUBA tanks good ole Kevin purchased in SoCal or in Nor Cal ?

I also question how many of you ever saw a SCUBA bell or the now very rare LA CO Bar b que ?

How many will be searching for condemned SCUBA tanks to make a SCUBA bell?

SDM

Did any one or the shop they frequent sell good ole Baja Kevin old used SCUBA tanks?

~~~~~~~~~~~ or ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Did any one make or attempt to make SCUBA Bells or SCUBA chimes ?

SDM

Just curious, if the OP is just making bells why avoid the 6351 tanks?

ps: @sam miller, I liked your story about the golden double hose. :)

Jack Hammer
I am jus a slow walking, slow taking, slow thinking, broken down old diver originally from SoCal now from CenCal

Therefore unfamiliar with the term 6351 but I assume it refers to aluminum tanks ?

If so they have very poor tonal quality because of the material and thick walls-- However --- we have experimented and discovered several possible materials to use as clappers to produce a muted quality tone. At present we are still experimenting -- so stay tuned! --- we may or may not have the answer.

re: Golden Double Hose Regulator

In 1969 when I received the award as the "Outstanding Los Angeles County UW instructor of the year 1969" the majority of diving and dive manufactures were located in LA & Orange Counties (OC). Diving instruction began in 1954 by the LA Co UW instructors and had become the fountain head of diving through out the world. Now the majority of dive instruction is directly linked to the LA Co program . It is interesting to note we were Underwater instructors NOT SCUBA instructors -that term became in common usage some years later.

The award was only a few years old --As I recall it was established in 1964 so only 5 years old Now almost 50 years later it is still being awarded .

I had previously been awarded "Outstanding Contributions to UW Instruction" for developing new and exciting training procedures and the diver/instructor classification system... but the diver/instructor classification system was rejected by LA Co & NAUI but embraced by John Cronin for PADI as a $$$ making step training system which has become so successful world wide.

My wife Betty who has ben diving for 40=50 years stopped at the NM "Blue hole" werer we met a fuzzy faced NM PADI instructor who advised us that there was no diving or dive training until PADI was established in the 1940s or was it 1950s? --It was enlightening to hear his wonderful stories of dive lore

Hope this explains a little better

SDM

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom