Dive computers... SO many choices!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AFAIC, this Deep 6 computer is a gift horse even though it will actually cost me $139.00 + shipping to HK!

Common guys, stop telling him that the D6 computer is a great deal, you are giving him the incentive to raise his prices now. You should be complaining that it is expensive :)

Last edited:
I couldn't find any dive computer selling for less than $139.00, I wish there is any!

We were talking about the Deep6 computer's algorithm. LandonL brought up issues related to Helium M-values (I presume that's what he was referring to). What other conclusion would there be than that the computer is going to support Trimix? I agree that it seemed so unlikely that that is why I specifically asked.

There could potentially be a cost advantage in writing a full-range trimix code and trimming it down for the low-end model: single code base to develop and maintain. That aside, to me it read exactly what it said: ZHL is "standard" and "well-known" as long as you don't add Helium.

Thanks. lol
The USB cable will cost a little extra, but nothing crazy like some of the other options out there. We are going to stick with the $139 retail price for the computer.

We were talking about theory earlier, not this computer specifically. This computer will NOT support Trimix, that will be a model later down the road, and unfortunately won't be $139. :)

Landon - I've been looking for more info on your computer with no luck. Can you share or link us to specs, pictures, anything?

Landon - I've been looking for more info on your computer with no luck. Can you share or link us to specs, pictures, anything?

We disabled the product page on the website until we finish with our changes we are integrating. There is a picture of it on my forearm on page 12 of this thread. But I will try to post some more here at the bottom of this post. Forgive the low quality of the images, but I'm not a photographer and I just have a phone.

A pretty extensive review of the computer has sort of happened in this thread, but I will post some things here to recap.

Deep 6 Fathom:
Form Factor: Puck
Decompression Models: Modified Bubble Model and Buhlmann ZHL-16C + GF
Gases: Single Gas Air/Nitrox
Nitrox Settings: 21-50% and 1.2-1.6 ppO2
Functions/Modes: Surface, Air, Nitrox, Gauge, Dive Log, Dive Plan
Dive Log holds >30 dives + data
Metric or Imperial Units
Deep Stop On/Off
Backlight On/Off
Audible Button On/Off
Deco On/Off
Altitude Setting A0-A4 (0ft - 12100 ft)
Fly Time Countdown
Screen: Monochrome LCD with Backlight
Buttons: Two (Left + Right)
Battery: CR2450
Sync: USB cable

Controls:
L+R short press: Enter
L or R: Up/Down or Left/Right
L+R for 2 seconds: Exit or Go Back
L or R for 5 seconds: Turn on Backlight

download

download

download

download

Last edited:
@LandonL

Does the D6 computer keep track of the average depth and records it as part of the divelog information?

Also, will the computer be "firmware upgradable" by the user?

What do you guys mean by average depth and why? I'm just curious; looking at max depth and halving it is something one should be able to do even when narced, so I'm assuming you're talking about something else.

@LandonL
Does the D6 computer keep track of the average depth and records it as part of the divelog information?

What do you guys mean by average depth and why? I'm just curious; looking at max depth and halving it is something one should be able to do even when narced, so I'm assuming you're talking about something else.

Average depth is certainly useful for calculation of RMV. Max depth/2 is probably rarely the average depth. In the example, below, the max depth is 66 feet and the average depth is 52 feet.

With a non-AI computer, you can do the RMV calculation manually, or use one of many calculators, assuming you captured your gas use DiveNerd - SAC Rate / RMV Calculator, Imperial Units

An AI computer will generally calculate your RMV automatically, as well as displaying avg depth and gas use
upload_2016-9-30_11-27-28.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom