Good computer for rental?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Scott

Instructor, Scuba
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am looking for a good and simple computer to add to my rental fleet. These will mostly be used by open water students. I need something that can be securely hose mounted and have user replaceable batteries.
Wrist mount and rechargable are out.
Simple operation and low cost are main considerations.
Some can be console mounted but some will need to be hose mounted.

Suggestions?

The gear manufacturer agreements currently in place do not offer what I am looking for. I will need to add to my line.

Here's a few options:

Genesis React Pro
Genesis Resource Pro
Sherwood Profile
Sherwood Insight

I am looking for a good and simple computer to add to my rental fleet. These will mostly be used by open water students. I need something that can be securely hose mounted and have user replaceable batteries.
Wrist mount and rechargable are out.
Simple operation and low cost are main considerations.
Some can be console mounted but some will need to be hose mounted.

Suggestions?

The shop I work for uses the Mares puck. A console mount is available and the battery can be replaced. As an instructor I like using this computer to teach because it's got good intuitive menus and a clear display.

The shop's ones are the wrist mounted one. They're a dealer for Mares so they probably don't pay much for them. The wrist mounted ones do go missing from time to time so it's really important to keep a check-in/check-out list for these items and make it clear to students that they are fully responsible for ensuring that they are returned.

R..

I need something that can be securely hose mounted

Why specifically "hose mounted" and not console or wrist mount?

Hose mounted computers can be removed and stored separately from the regulators. For a shop this could be relevant so that the computers are not subjected to the rigors of frequent diving in swimming pools.

My experience, however, is that wrist mounted gauges are generally subject to less overall abuse so wrist mounted computers will probably last longer if you can somehow convince divers to take care of them and give them back. Having a reliable check-in/check-out procedure helps a lot. We have done it two ways. (1) the computers are given to the instructor and it's the instructor's problem if one gets lost and (2) the computers are given to the students and the student has a problem if their own computer gets lost.

As an instructor I'm sure you can imagine which way I prefer.... :)

R..

We have done it two ways. (1) the computers are given to the instructor and it's the instructor's problem if one gets lost and (2) the computers are given to the students and the student has a problem if their own computer gets lost.

The goal is to prevent all problems. We are thinking wrist computers are more likely lost.

Work out a deal with Deep6 on their computer that's about to be released? MSRP is only $139. Maybe just include a new computer in the price of every OW class and give them to all your students?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom